Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NYC Times Square 12X Bluray Beam Shot on a JumboTron! :-)

Pretty cool looking on the big screen....You might want to remember as well that Time Square has BANKS of police cameras all over the place....as well as officers roaming around. Not to rain on your fun too much, but I personally feel brining a 'illegal' laser to that place is a bad idea...

Thanks for the complimentary comment. ;)

As far as I know there is nothing akin to a 'mobile' CDRH variance that would allow for individuals to operate higher powered lasers subject to their own qualified cognizance. If so I would be one to obtain one. I have been working with lasers for going on 30 years now and certainly am aware of the caveats in operating them. I am of the opinion that there should be a licensing process. If folks can obtain permits to legally carry outright lethal devices (guns) then there should be an equivalent permitting process for essentially non-lethal devices of a similar nature.

The subject of legalities is probably best left to the legal forum here on lpf.
As far as the concern about the police, generally speaking it has been my experience that they are really only going to be taking an interest if they clearly see the beam and see that the laser is being operated in an unmistakably dangerous manner. Also based upon what a younger and less experienced laserist previously explained to me relative to an experience he had, the police will confiscate the laser and make it available for pickup at the local station at a later date.

-Scott

I agree with you on most points and really wasn't trying to start a legal discussion. Personally I wouldn't want to see any more restriction in the US on lasers...I feel that the <5mW restriction is foolish. There will always be the irresponsible....but these laws can restrict those who wish to do personal research......(ok enough of that ;)).
To bad you couldn't get the Polaroid from the virtual girl:)

Benm

Cool - nice way to use such interactive light installations. If they put any up here i'll definitely try :)

Since there was some confusion here amongst those who tend to be knowledgeable about lasers about where the laser in the video was being directed, I went ahead and added an explanatory note to my video in the interest of safety explaining to viewers to never shine lasers at others. The note also explains that the girl's image is part of the interactive display.

I'm glad that this thread brought that issue to my attention as I hadn't previously considered it. Thanks to those mentioning it!

-Scott

Last edited: