Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

NUBM4F Amperage

IWLSR5

I'm getting a NUBM4F diode for my second build and don't see much information about it on the forum. What amperage should this diode be ran at? Will be powered by 2 18650 cells.

RedCowboy

5A MAX but I would stay @ 4.5A

You must know what you are doing before hooking these up. Reverse polarity, excessive current and high heat will damage or ruin these. A proper CONSTANT CURRENT laser diode driver is required to drive the diode. NEVER connect a laser diode directly to a battery or un-regulated power supply. The current should not exceed 5A CW. The diodes must be installed in to a laser diode module and heatsink before energizing to dissipate heat. A glass lens should be used as well. Be sure no dust, residue or other material is obstructing the diode window or lens.

Shmackitup

I've run them for short intervals at 6 amps and they seem to take it pretty well.

RedCowboy

I have some GBall diodes from LEP headlights that will take 5.5A without a complaint and they look like 455nm.....maybe the newer diodes are slightly longer wavelength with a little higher foldback, but the increase in output between 4.5A and 5.5A isn't very much and it seems like there's a bottleneck at the diode itself.

Same thing with the nubm44-V2 which will do 7.6W @ 4.5A with a G2 from a room temp start, but afterwards from a cool start will only do 7.2W - 7.4W @ 4.5A with a G2 and even in a good heat sink they diminish faster when driven over 4.5A, it's like the heat cant get out of the diode's backing plate and into the copper heat sink fast enough........like you said, for short intervals without active cooling.