Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

nubm42 talk and founds

today i found some time to test out the new nubm42 diode i received and i have to say i found some interesting results. there will be not a lot of photos but i'll share the differences i found out compared to other diodes.

nubm42 is very identical to the nubm08 and the power test is almost the same, i manage to push it up to 7.1w by cooling down the diode and wavelength is definitely around 455nm as nubm08.not serious changes here.

now the interesting changes i found,1st thing i noticed was how bad the focus out of gball was,nice flashlight i have to say :mad: the spot at 5 meters was 40x11cm i know crazy.

attachment.php

it could be this curtain diode but if most of them have this shape that means that the manufacturer made this to prevent us to use it as a laser.

they made a noticeable change on the gball lens compared the nubm08 gball and used a longer focal length lens(or same focal length lens and longer barrel to make it more out of focus flashlight :tsk:)

nubm08 vs nubm42 barrel
attachment.php

i tried to focus the awful focus of the gball lens but not worked so you all remember the thread i made about the gball lens refocusing : https://laserpointerforums.com/f51/...-diode-without-deccaning-tutorial-103025.html

so i tried this method to see if it is still usable with a diode so much out of focus and found something interesting,the method worked great used a G2 to expand and 3 element to refocus and amazed with the results! i got half divergence compared to my nubm08 build with exactly the same focus method :wtf: this could mean 2 things either the diode emitter is different compared to the nubm08 or the gball used on this diode has something different.
i can find out only if i deccan the diode but i don't want to kill it.

if anyone has a nubm42 diode please let me know the output size,i want to confirm if the manufacturer made this out of focus on purpose.also i wish to see if this is actually a diode on nubm08 power range and characteristics with better divergence but we will only found this by deccaning one.

Attachments

• IMG_20180706_155407.jpg
    IMG_20180706_155407.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20180708_114602.jpg
    IMG_20180708_114602.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 160

Oh great, if divergence halved with m08, that is a better option,If you want to know for sure, you can remove the g ball lens and try the G2 lens, but you will lose diode after a few days.

I bought some nubm42 at auction and I de canned one, it has what I call stage 2 divergence just like the nubm05,06,07 and 7a75/7k75, the output is less than a nubm44 when run at 4.5a based on simple burn testing, here's a couple of videos I found online power test 42/44

The bar/spot length at 5 meters through a 3 element is

M-140 = 8mm

nubm05,06,07,ect = 16mm

nubm44 and nubm08 = 24mm

UPDATE: 06-42 was mixed up from seller....... nubm42 and likely 49 are stage 3, I have not tested a 49 yet but I bet it is. 42 is stage 3

So far there are only 2 diodes with stage 3 divergence in this family that I have found, the 44 ( 445-450nm ) and 08 ( 450-455nm ) and the 08 likes 4amps to make 6 watts where as the 44 likes 4.5amps to make 7 watts+++++, the nubm44 is the big power king and has been reported in some cases to do near 9w @ 5.0a as all current 44's are the 44-V2 although they last very well @ 4.5a

Last edited:
those are some great news then RedCowboy we actually have a nubm05 divergence with the power of the nubm08 at 455nm. yeap i know that still the nubm44 is still the power king out there but im still interested on different wavelengths and divergence on those diode range. did you powered it up with the can before deccan it to check the focusing spot?

we already found the 1st change over the older models that is the divergence/power which got better now we just have to see if they tried to tighten the security on those to prevent them for laser usage

Yes the natural GBall focus was awful, at 6 feet in the pic below, I posted about it in your focusing Gballs thread HERE

Using the backwards G2 then 3E did suck down some power, likely some extra clipping, did you ever get a LPM reading on that set up?

60681d1530081719-how-easily-focus-any-gball-diode-without-deccaning-tutorial-sany2729.jpg

Last edited:
nope i didn't make a power reading after the extra optics but im guessing it will be the same as nubm08,how did you saw the power lose without an lpm? don't mistake the beam visibility vs the 3 element and G2 and gball cause the 3 element makes a bigger diameter beam and that makes the thicker-sharper beam of the G2 and gball look brighter. this happens due to focal length of the lenses and in the case of gballs although are longer focal length than G2 most of the cases are abit out of focus from the infinity and that makes a small diameter beam on the first 1-2 meters before the big start spreading also.

so i see that the bad focusing could be by intention from the manufacturer

Last edited:
If this really mattered to me I would get the LPM and show the results, but I know my goal, and the nubm42 is just not as strong, also the GBall presents an issue that's easily fixed by buying a nubm44, I tested a nubm05/06 ( can't trust the Chinese ) with Gball then backwards G2 then 3 element then beam expander just to see it wont ignite a paper bag at 20 feet worth a darn, but a 44/3e/3Xbe will, so I go with what I see works, also a de canned 05/06 with 3e/3XBE works so there's proof right there of the loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
yeah not an arguing here that there is definitely a power lose but im pretty sure there is not a cropped(clipping) output cause if i look closer the output with glasses i clearly see the edge of the light emmition(smoothly fainting light),if it was cropped the edges should look like cut or sharp ending light.

i have to agree about the power king of the nubm44 but the application matters here,you are hard burner while i never burning anything and im just beamshot enthusiast, nubm44 has awesome power but it also have lower wavelength than the other blues,i like more more the bluer color that 455nm range offers and this gives also a nice visibility boost over 445-450nm.

while 1-1.5w of power can really matter on burning applications on 6w range its hardly noticeable on beamshot visibility. i'll take some readings when i got time to see the power difference on the specific nubm42 diode.

did your nubm42 degraded quick after you deccan it?

No it hasn't degraded any that I am able to notice yet, the nubm08 I ran every day for 10-20 1-2 minute sessions in a heavy heat sink for 6 weeks or so before it got to be about 1/2 power est.

I did notice it seemed a little less powerful after the 1st week in it's burning but not in it's visibility, it seemed to go bad fast near the end after I would estimate a cumulative 25 hours of run time.

I was also using a NUBM44 daily as well, the 44 @ 4.5amps and the de-canned NUBM08 @ 4.0 amps, the NUBM44 was still strong after 6 weeks, still strong after 6 months.

-----------------------------------EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST-------------------------------------

WOW

Ok I have an update, the diodes I got in from China came in little containers with the number written on them, apparently an 06 got mixed up with a 42 and I originally de-canned an 06 or maybe an 05.

The nubm42 I just de-canned tonight looks like 450-455nm and the divergence is worse than the nubm44/nubm08 by 50% as seen with a 3 element, instead of 15/16 of an inch at 15 feet it's 1.5 inches. This should really be measured with a G2 but here's the 3E result. I also put a beam expander on this de-canned 42 after the 3E and it will burn, but maybe not quite as strong as the 44, the LPM test of 5.2w is likely correct.

It is a strong burner on the desktop and a pretty color albeit a Chinese fan shaped beam. I see why the backwards G2 then 3 element made it look like a nubm06/stage 2 divergence and made it less powerful, it was clipping as I expected, but it did improve the visible beam by clipping the ends. Take a look at the backwards G2 output on a wall ( with GBall intact ) compared to a de-canned raw output on the wall, you will see how much longer it is.

Here's the nubm42 de-canned with a 3 element at 15 feet, the bar is wider than anything before in this family, but it is pretty.

---edit---
Also with the GBall removed and a 3E it pops out a ready flame kernel on a block of wood on the desktop, I may do a video later, so if you keep the GBall and go backwards G2 then 3E and it wont burn readily with an open flame on the desktop you can see the power loss, I noticed it right away, but the beam was improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
i'll try to find some time tomorrow to do a power tests on both nubm08 and nubm42 to see exactly the percentage loss of power on both diodes.my guess is that will both have same % power loss while you saying that on the nubm42 case the 3 element lens crops the output that coming from the G2 lens.i'm very curious for the results though

I am curious as well, I ordered several 42's and 06's as I hunt for the GBall diodes with a fairly decent fixed focus to use with the 3XBE, but when I compared side by side a de-canned 42 with 3E and a GBall intact 42 with backwards G2 and 3E the de-canned unit had a lot more burning ability, the more aggressive divergence of the 42 I thought could be a factor in this case. However it does get through as seen in my short video, so maybe not a factor.

If you could get a LPM reading on a GBall intact 42 and a GBall intact 42 with backwards G2 and 3E, you don't need to de-can a 42 if you haven't already, but if you have it would allow us to factor in the wider divergence, however it all seems to go downrange as seen in my short video.

So that begs the question, if the 3E clips lower divergence diodes then why are we seeing a wider spot when using a 3E on the more divergent diodes ?

It's possible the waveguide is longer on the 42 ? I have one de-canned but I popped the can off after mounting it so I won't measure the waveguide until post mortem as the difference is likely very small. Something I did notice is the output from the GBall intact diode with a backwards G2 is very long as seen on my wall, I do believe that is clipping going into the 3E, I could be wrong but it sure looks like it would clip and looks like it is, but for a pretty beam it's not an issue, for burning I see a difference. :beer:

---edit---

I said waveguide when I meant the pedestal the emitter sits on may have it further forward from the backing plate.

Last edited:
if you are hunting for well focused gball diodes out of the box without to have to remove the can you should always buying the 06's as those have the best percentage of good focus compared to all the rest of the nub series,
especially nubm42 looks to be the worst so far.

the gball is still intact on mt nubm42 and im planning to decan it at this moment,the tests will go like this,nubm42 gball metered,nubm08 gball metered,nubm42 backward G2+3 element metered and nubm08 backward G2+ 3 element.
this will show us the percentage of power loss in each case using exactly the same optics while checking the divergence,i have noted that with this method the divergence i got on the nubm42 was half vs the 08 while you note that decaned using 3 element has worst divergence than 08,this is weird and could mean output clipping on the nubm42 case for some reason.lpm will tell us :beer:

Yes you are correct about the 06 diodes, and the GBall is very efficient, when they are close to focused they are nice.

I'm about to order this LPM, is this the one you use, if so how good is it, that sensor sure looks small, what did you pay for yours and how long to get it ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-...IoAAOSwcN1ah9to:sc:USPSFirstClass!30083!US!-1

---edit---

I went ahead and ordered it, will be here by Tuesday, then I can offer some numerical results.

Last edited:

GSS

Red, a bit of the cuff but still Gball diode related.
Have you gotten yet or tested the pattern's on the M01's or M02's you won on auction?
The M02 I got from DTR had a fairly decent spot at 15 or 20 feet. Wondering if Jordan went through the process of finding me a decent one from him stock.

The NUGM I won made a pretty good beam, but not good enough so I de-canned it, so far it's still strong, I just ordered a LPM so I will be able to track the NUGM I am running and the NDG7475 and compare how they age and how their output holds up. DTR doesn't bin his diodes, it wouldn't be fair.

GSS

Yup I wouldn't think he would as it wouldn't be fair plus the time and hassle involved to do so.
Mine puts out a fair spot, could be better I guess but had thought you bought a few more and maby compared a few. How was the Gball compared to a G2 after the decanning?