Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Now I can do 30 volts at 30 amps

additude

The problem I am having is using my Constant Current Dual "Side by Side" 30-volt 5-amp power supply to drive a DC boost driver at outputs of 50 volts at 6-ish amps, or even 98 volts at 3-ish amps, so that I can light up MLD's like the NUBM37, which is 4 strings of 6 series diodes. That whole "MLD package" needs about 300 watts to light up to spec. So, using my dual power supply in "parallel mode" can get me to 30 volts at 10 amps, which is still on the very cusp of the power supplies rated output, which is 30v x 10a = 300 watts, and once the loss of efficiency of the DC booster is calculated in (15%), the DC booster can only give about 255 watts of power on the output.
A person can't just go out and directly connect individual power supplies together in parallel to share a common load unless the power supplies are specifically designed to be that way between them. I just so happen, by a stroke of fate...have two Constant Current Dual "Side by Side" 30-volt 5-amp power supplies. They each individually can be internally connected to provide 30v at 10a at 300w, but I cannot connect them together in parallel.
It's sort of a dance with the DC booster. I need a booster that can provide the output wattage, but depending on the project, size matters and typically the higher the wattage, the larger the physical size of the DC booster. But, even if a DC booster can output 400 watts, it won't go there if all I can give it is 300 watts. So, I need to use both of my individual 300-watt power supplies as one 30-volt 20-amp power supply to enable me to successfully test the '37 configured as 2P2S.
I realize this dilemma can be overcome as simply as hooking up a bunch of 18650's or purchasing a 30v 20a power supply, but I have to work with what I have. So, I made up a power supply "combiner" box that would allow me to connect the outputs of up to 3 power supplies in parallel.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 9

Anthony Volkman

How did you get it to work? I can't really tell what was done in the images. I normally end up taking the power supplies apart and driving them together, I get multiple of the same power supplies and drive them all by a single driver so everything is in sync correctly.