Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nova- X series versus Alpha

Comidt

Well, I got in contact with them and this is what I said:

Hi I have heard that the same model as the Alpha is, manufactured by CNI is not as consistent as the 'X-Series'
Why is this?
Or do you specifically find the best ones? Are thy always underrated, like the X-series? How stable are they then?
Thank You Very Much.
You should consider sending one to SenKat (Greg Stoner) since if he did a proper review, finding that they are good, there will be a good more sales of the Alpha series, since at the moment I would rather buy the X since I know it works well.
Thank You Very Much
Jonno Schmidt

Comidt

Thiis what they sent me:

Dear Mr. Schmidt,

Thank-you for your email.

We ship all of our lasers at or well above specification to ensure maximum output power and quality.
The X-Series and Alpha Series both come in the same output power ranges (15-125mW average output power models). The main difference between the Alpha and X-Series is that the Alpha Series has a bulkier construction which allows for better heat dissipation and so the Alpha Series has a duty cycle twice as long as the X-Series. You can leave the Alpha Series on for twice the length of time as an X-Series before noticing a drop in the rated average output power. Another key difference is that the Alpha Series has a five-point safety system and always comes with an aluminum carrying case while with the X-Series the carrying case is optional.

The Alpha Series lasers are very high in quality. In fact, if you notice, our Alpha125 units are always in-stock while our X125 units are always out-of-stock. This is so because the Alpha Series units tend to qualify at these much higher output power levels much more often than the X-Series due in part to their increased stability.

We are currently considering offering one of our Alpha units to Greg Stoner for review. Hopefully we will be able to arrange this in the near future to increase our customer's confidence in this great product.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.

Magdalena Gudzowska,
Sales Director
NOVALASERS.COM

Comidt

This is what I replied with:

Cool, that’s great.
So you are saying that your Alpha is good if not better than the X-series?
Thanks Very Much
Jonathan Schmidt

Comidt

And they say this:

Dear Mr. Schmidt,

When purchasing a laser it is best to consider your application. The X-Series is smaller, light weight, and similar in appearance to a pen which might be better for presentations, meetings, and other applications. The Alpha Series is great for longer running time and improved stability.

We are currently inquiring with Greg Stoner about a review of our Alpha Series so hopefully you will have more information about this product soon.

Best Regards.

Magdalena Gudzowska,
Sales Director
NOVALASERS.COM

S

SenKat

Yeah - I am just waiting for them to pick a nice one to review, I suppose :p I cannot wait, as I have only messed with the x-series and other pens, an Aries, a Herc - but the Alpha does intrigue me :)

Like I said I have an Alpha 105. Peak output 126.1 average 121.6 mw. Works as described thought I don't run it the full duty cycle. The beam is parallel to the body. No loose parts rattling. Solid key switch. Batteries fit perfectly again no rattling. And this is for those that buy lasers just to burn stuff. It stings my pasty white flesh in a few seconds and will burn wood. In case your wondering why I know this. I was demonstrating some of these capabilities to a friend. It comes with an Aluminum carrying case that is well padded with compartments for the two key switches, extra batteries and circuit dongle.

xgeek

I am liking the look of the Alpha 105 as I like the safety features over the X series. The only one I don't like is the dongle that plugs in the side.

The dongle looks like a standard 3.5mm (or smaller) headphone jack that is just shorted out so when it is plugged in it completes the circuit. If this is true do you think this one safety check could be bypassed by modding the end battery cap?

Cheers

Comidt

Yeah, it is an audio jack.
Isuppose you could permanently short it out.
Stick something in the hole.
Or open it up completely and connect wires together....
Jonno

xgeek said:
I am liking the look of the Alpha 105 as I like the safety features over the X series. The only one I don't like is the dongle that plugs in the side.

The dongle looks like a standard 3.5mm (or smaller) headphone jack that is just shorted out so when it is plugged in it completes the circuit. If this is true do you think this one safety check could be bypassed by modding the end battery cap?

Cheers
Find a machine shop and have them machine a new end cap

Aseras

When purchasing a laser it is best to consider your application. The X-Series is smaller, light weight, and similar in appearance to a pen which might be better for presentations, meetings, and other applications. The Alpha Series is great for longer running time and improved stability.

I certainly hope that's a joke. unless you are giving a presentation on high power lasers. I tried my 40mw leadlight on a auditorium screen and it was brighter than the sun.. especially in the dark.

Aseras

xgeek said:

Cheers

just short the tailcap.. penny whatever... make the spring contact the edge.

xgeek

Aseras said:
[quote author=xgeek link=1186017533/15#25 date=1187185409]I am liking the look of the Alpha 105 as I like the safety features over the X series. The only one I don't like is the dongle that plugs in the side.

Cheers

just short the tailcap.. penny whatever...  make the spring contact the edge.[/quote]

Cool. I will take a look when I get it as I want to keep the keyswitch.

Thanks for the info.