Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

Hello,

About 3 days ago we were at home playing with the dog. My mom was shining a red laser at the ground and the dog was chasing it. I guess she wasn't paying attention or something because she accidentally shined it straight into my eye. I immediately looked away, but there has been a very tiny spot (like when you look at a bright light and get that afterimage.) in the center of my vision and it hasn't gone away as of yet. I went to the eye doctor today, and he told me that he didn't see any damage in my eye. If it helps the laser was marked MAX OUTPUT <5mW (but it was ordered off of ebay so not sure if that is even true). I just wanted to know if this spot was ever going to go away or if it's permanent.

Thanks

:lasergun:

If the retina is not burned it may just be depleted of photoreceptive pigments in that region. This takes time to heal, vitamin a helps a lot.

I have a spot in my right eye of damage from a laser show that crowd scanned right into my eye. It looks like a light spot afterimage when I blink when looking at a dark area, but doesn't show up in normal vision even with one eye closed. Hopefully this kind if damage will be the maximum you might encounter.

For future reference....

I would suggest that you don't trust the Power Labeling
on cheap Chinese Lasers. It is always better to have a
Laser verified for actual output power before using it.

Hope all gets better....

Jerry

If the retina is not burned it may just be depleted of photoreceptive pigments in that region. This takes time to heal, vitamin a helps a lot.

I have a spot in my right eye of damage from a laser show that crowd scanned right into my eye. It looks like a light spot afterimage when I blink when looking at a dark area, but doesn't show up in normal vision even with one eye closed. Hopefully this kind if damage will be the maximum you might encounter.
Thank you for the response.

Just a couple questions,
What vitamins should I take, and how long did it take for your eye to heal? Also that does make me feel better because I doubt this laser was anywhere near as powerful as something they would use at a laser show.

Thanks again!

For future reference....

I would suggest that you don't trust the Power Labeling
on cheap Chinese Lasers. It is always better to have a
Laser verified for actual output power before using it.

Hope all gets better....

Jerry
Yeah you can bet I'm never purchasing one of these again.

Retinol, which is the animal sourced version of Vitamin A, is the main component the body needs to regenerate the photoreactive pigments in the rods and cones of your eye's retina. Be careful though as Vit A becomes toxic if too much is ingested (polar bear liver toxicity is a well documented example), so don't exceed about 15,000IU/day. Beta Carotene is the plant version of Vitamin A and has to be transformed by your liver before being of any use to your eyes. As a result it is impossible to overdose on beta carotene, but likewise no more than the bare minimum needed will be metabolized into retinol, and there is no documented proof that it speeds retinal recovery. Some people are less able to metabolize retinol from beta carotene and as a result do not benefit from non-animal vitamin a supplementation (my wife is like this).

The OP already went to an eye doc as stated in post #1, it is unlikely they will prescribe anything now if they did not see the need to before.

Re: my injury; I saw an active after-image for about three or four days that gradually lessened, but I was on vitamin A supplementation at the time which does greatly speed recovery (unless you naturally get enough through your diet normally). It was only a 500mW PJ that scanned me and that was after being divided up into multiple beams with a diffraction mirror. I would estimate it at no more than 70mW that hit me.

Last edited:
I would suggest a visit to the eye doctor vs trying your luck with some vitamins. Unless, of course, you have some spare eyes to play around with. Besides a doctor can prescribe medication far beyond the offerings of your over the counter drug store. And lastly the sobering fact of the doctor's bill will remind your mother to be more careful with her child's eyes.
Yeah I already visited my doc. He told me that he didn't see any damage in the back of my eye.

Retinol, which is the animal sourced version of Vitamin A, is the main component the body needs to regenerate the photoreactive pigments in the rods and cones of your eye's retina. Be careful though as Vit A becomes toxic if too much is ingested (polar bear liver toxicity is a well documented example), so don't exceed about 15,000IU/day. Beta Carotene is the plant version of Vitamin A and has to be transformed by your liver before being of any use to your eyes. As a result it is impossible to overdose on beta carotene, but likewise no more than the bare minimum needed will be metabolized into retinol, and there is no documented proof that it speeds retinal recovery. Some people are less able to metabolize retinol from beta carotene and as a result do not benefit from non-animal vitamin a supplementation (my wife is like this).

The OP already went to an eye doc as stated in post #1, it is unlikely they will prescribe anything now if they did not see the need to before.

Re: my injury; I saw an active after-image for about three or four days that gradually lessened, but I was on vitamin A supplementation at the time which does greatly speed recovery (unless you naturally get enough through your diet normally). It was only a 500mW PJ that scanned me and that was after being divided up into multiple beams with a diffraction mirror. I would estimate it at no more than 70mW that hit me.
Thank you, I'll look into the Retinol, and I'm guessing that if you got better after being hit with 70mW, I should be fine lol. Thanks though.

Off topic question,
I found this form while worriedly searching the web, never knew it existed, but what is it that you guys do with all these different kinds of lasers? Seems pretty interesting.

Depends really. Some build and sell, some collect, some develop the tools of the trade (drivers/hosts), some search/scavenge for new diode sources, some repair and breathe life into old behemoths, some do legit research, and some just like to point them in to fog.

I would be wary of eBay red laser "pointers"... there are sellers who report "5mW" red lasers that can be well over 100mW...

Thats the good and bad part about ebay lasers... the 5mW ones can be way overspec and for a laser hobbyist is great news but for kid buying one to play around with no knowledge of laser safety... bad news. hope the eye heals up:beer:

I looked up retinol and can only find a skin cream/ointment type form. Is this what I'm looking for or should I check at a pharmacy or a nutrition store or something?

Generic Vitamin A pills that don't say beta carotene are indeed a form of retinol, you don't want skin stuff. "Retinol" is a buzz word for the cosmetics industry so that's likely all you'll find when searching online. It's a standard supplement so any pharmacy should have it.