Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: Side Button Pocket Pal Lasers! - Awesome!

jayrob

No longer selling these... Please read this:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1231511226/0

But I am selling DIY Build Kits & Heatsinks! See here: http://www.sonic.net/~jayrob/MXDL/

I found an even better side button host! :cool: (since the 5387 and 5095 hosts are on back order) The host is made by VicLight...

VL7.jpg

VL1.jpg

VL10.jpg

Smaller than the MXDL side button, and much nicer!

* Only 7/8" longer than my tail switch 'Pocket Pal' build: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1212910842/0
* Uses 3 X AAA batteries. Energizer e2 Lithium batteries will be included. And a dust cap as well. (this build can use rechargeable AAA's too!)
* FlexDrive (nothing but the best driver)
* Custom heatsink, fit for the module of your choice!
* Easy diode access design!

This is the nicest host so far (IMO). I'm taking into consideration things like battery capacity, choice of primaries or rechargeable, small size, the nice side button,

...and of course, the versatility of being able to choose which module to use for your blu-ray, or red burner! (kind of my 'trademark design trait') :)
Also, I do not use any heat on the diode harvest. My method, is to use very fine tipped snips, to 'clip' the pins clean. The only heat applied, is when soldering the wire leads to the pins. (about 1 second or less per pin)

Heatsink design:

VL2.jpg

Similar to my 5387/5095 heatsink design, only smaller. Notice the extra space at the bottom of the heatsink to make room for the FlexDrive and wiring! ;)

VL3.jpg

The length of the heatsink is 'fit', so that when the head of the host is screwed down into place, the heatsink is held solid. (this build feels very solid and 'weighty' in your hand)

VL4.jpg

VL5.jpg

This first 803T blu-ray model, is running at 149mA's and putting out a steady 141mW's through the Meredith glass lens. (Coherent PM5200)

For hosts, I found black and silver. (the silver is kind of a light gun metal color):
VL8.jpg

Jay

My Key Chain Laser Build - Must See!:;)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1230945898/0

Check out my new 'Pocket Mini' lasers here! :)
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1226875831/0

Here's my DIY Green Laser Build!: :D
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1227233016/0

Re: FS: Side Button Pocket Pal Lasers! - Awesome!

Will you be posting assembly instructions, if you sell just the host & 'sink ?

jayrob

Here's the host: http://www.physlink.com/estore/cart/Viclight8LEDandLaserPointer.cfm

It's a red laser/flashlight combo, and as you can see from the pictures, the top end of the build is the same as my MXDL side button tutorial.

But this build is not as easy as the MXDL side button...

* The head is glued on tight and is difficult to break loose. It would be easy to scratch it up.
* The switch has two load leads. One for the red laser, and one for the flashlight. I found that the switch contacts can be soldered together for one lead. Because it turns off after each side goes on.
* The ground is a tricky issue on this build, but if you have some building skills, you will find a way to make sure that it gets a nice solid constant ground.
* Tip: If you do this build, watch the positive end of the battery pack! The battery holder has a large contact area at the positive end, and can easily make contact with your grounding method if you are not careful.

The heatsinks will be the same price as the MXDL side button heatsinks. $25. There is an extra drilling process at the back of the heatsink to make room for the FlexDrive and wiring...
Jay

jayrob

Here's a picture that shows the size comparison between different hosts...
Jay

Sizes.jpg

jayrob

jayrob said:
* The head is glued on tight and is difficult to break loose. It would be easy to scratch it up.

I'm building a new Meredith glass blu-ray model. I scratched the head while taking it apart...

I had to 'dress' it up with some custom lathe work:

VLNew1.jpg

VLNew2.jpg

Looks pretty good this way! :cool: Better than scratched anyway... If this one 'tickles your fancy', PM me.

Otherwise, it may just have to be my personal one. :)
Jay

jayrob

Oh man! I think I'm going to have to keep this one! :cool:

It's the first 803T diode that has given me more mW than mA ratio... 145mA's - 150mW's. Steady as a rock!

Meredith glass lens, Coherent PowerMax 5200...

VLtut6.jpg

VLtut7.jpg

I don't think I will be looking for anymore hosts! This is absolutely perfect! :D

I did take some inside pictures, so if you guys want, I can do a tutorial on this build...
Jay

jake21

thats nice jay, a tutorial on this build would be great i just ordered a few of them :)

Yeah Jay, You already know how I feel about that idea ;D ;D ;) Your Pal, rob :cool:

JR,

Dude you are a credit to the art. Absolutely awesome work man. This things rocks. I am beyond pleased. I know the side button things can be a bit to work with but you went above and beyond and I truly appreciate it. This is my second unit from you and I can say without a doubt that when the time comes for an upgrade you'll be hearing from me. I am glad I waited cause it was worth it.

Thanks again, Bud.

'Tac'

jayrob

Really glad you like it Tac! :cool:

Thanks for those fine words of yours!

Jay

Wow nice work jayrob.

I really like the milled version with the meredith module. Looking good.

jayrob

Thanks! It is every bit as schweet as it looks and more! :cool:

It's my favorite host yet... Pretty much everything about it. Plus a small size with a large capacity! ;)

Jay

jayrob

Grant, your awesome 6X Meredith glass blu-ray build will be in today's mail! (Wednesday)

Grant Stiles 10-28-08.jpg

Actually, I don't really know if these new sleds (GBW-H10N) should be called a 6X or a 4X, but either way, they contain an awesome blu-ray diode! :cool:
Jay

jayrob

ArcAgel, your awesome Leadlight mod and free Uranium crackle glass marble will be in Monday's mail!

Jeff Barnhill 11-3-08.jpg

Your going to like it! These Leadlight pointer mods are awesome.

There is an instruction sheet included. Please take a couple of minutes to read through it...
Jay