Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Not FS: 300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers!

Re: FS: *300mW MXDL Open Can Lasers With Heatsink*

Common,yes you are sure about that ;D.If the diode only drops .7v it would work just the way I thought and you described,so using a unprotected 17670 is a good option for Iceaweasel if he likes rechargeables :)

jayrob

GamerBR said:
Common,yes you are sure about that ;D.If the diode only drops .7v it would work just the way I thought and you described,so using a unprotected 17670 is a good option for Iceaweasel if he likes rechargeables :)

In theory, yes... it makes perfect sense. 'I'm not sure', meaning I have not tried it. Not sure how the driver acts when the supply drops below the stated 2.5 volts, etc...

Simon, I got your build finished! I'll have it in tomorrow's mail. (Saturday)

Simon Stannard 7-12-08.jpg

I left the laser sticker off, in case customs looks in the package. I'll have it folded up in the instructions. You'll have to cut it if you want to put it on. Just look at some of the pictures I have in this thread.

The batteries will not be installed in the laser. Look at my included instruction sheet to make sure of the direction of the batteries.

Charger not included. You can get one cheap here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936 As usual, I put a little dot of white paint to mark the 5' focal point.

Let me know when it gets there!
Jay

tomcat

1: bump
2: my laser has had a good 40 hours on it at 1-2 month observing to most extent a 1min on 3osec off duty cycle (never usually exceed that) and its not failed once
only very small gripe is not the laser at all. but the batts they cut off a a certain level and the laser just "goes out" at about the low batt mark of 250mw instead of slowly declining in power until its a led laser of low power this freaked me out at first but i got used to it. i once put some 3v unprotected batts in and i ran it for 10 mins (at about 220mw) solid with a 16C - 22C temp differeence start - finish

jayrob

Interesting observations there tomcat...thanks for sharing.

Sounds like the protection circuit on the batteries huh?

Just adds to my favoring the 3.0 volt lithium primaries even more! ;)

I like them because of not having to worry about them losing charge. But the use of the FlexDrive/3.0 volt lithium primary battery combo, is the 'cat's meow', IMO...
Jay

FgerG

wwwwwow! I just got my baby-blu-ray. After a couple of checks I went out and found a scorpion (got plenty in case you need one). I hit him with the laser spot from about 6 feet, and he lit up bright white! It looked like a large high output LED (but with claws and a stinger). When I took the spot off he had a stripe that fluoresced visibly green for several seconds. He didn't seem to appreciate any of this.

The beam is slightly elliptical, which is perfect for adding a sheet optic (line generator).

Great build, and incredibly fast for a custom job. Thanks Jay!

gerG

jayrob

FgerG said:
wwwwwow! I just got my baby-blu-ray. After a couple of checks I went out and found a scorpion (got plenty in case you need one). I hit him with the laser spot from about 6 feet, and he lit up bright white! It looked like a large high output LED (but with claws and a stinger). When I took the spot off he had a stripe that fluoresced visibly green for several seconds. He didn't seem to appreciate any of this.

The beam is slightly elliptical, which is perfect for adding a sheet optic (line generator).

Great build, and incredibly fast for a custom job. Thanks Jay!

gerG

Man that was fast! I dropped it off on Friday, and you got it on Monday! :)

So that's interesting...scorpions glow huh?

Glad you like the blu-ray build! Thanks for posting back...
Jay

P.S. I got a cool 8" X 8" glow tile. Murudai gave it to me for buying them for him and sending them to him. (the company would not ship to him in Australia) Check it out!:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1215198721/0

Hey I got my laser in the mail last night! Well, they probly delivered it during the day but I didnt get home til late. This is an awesome build!! I never had a laser this powerful. I could see the end of the beam at least a quarter mile away. Haven't really tried any farther than that yet. Can't wait for it to get cloudy, i'm curious if you can actually see it on the clouds. :) The build feels strong and sturdy and heavy - which is awesome! I kinda wanna take a peek inside but im afraid i might damage whatever is in there. I was able to burn a few holes in a black plastic Folgers coffee can lid. I gotta go out and find some black tipped matches and black balloons now. hehe :p

Jay, you are a genius! You certainly know what you are doing. I might also get you to build me a blue-ray laser one of these days soon when I get some bills payed off. lol

jayrob

Iceweasel said:
Hey I got my laser in the mail last night!  Well, they probly delivered it during the day but I didnt get home til late.  This is an awesome build!!  I never had a laser this powerful.  I could see the end of the beam at least a quarter mile away.  Haven't really tried any farther than that yet.  Can't wait for it to get cloudy, i'm curious if you can actually see it on the clouds. :)  The build feels strong and sturdy and heavy - which is awesome!  I kinda wanna take a peek inside but im afraid i might damage whatever is in there.  I was able to burn a few holes in a black plastic Folgers coffee can lid.  I gotta go out and find some black tipped matches and black balloons now.  hehe  :p  

Jay, you are a genius!  You certainly know what you are doing.  I might also get you to build me a blue-ray laser one of these days soon when I get some bills payed off. lol

Good to know it got there! You won't hurt it if you want to look inside. Just make sure you unscrew the top ring that holds the heatsink. Not the next top section. Just the heatsink retaining ring. And make sure the heatsink doesn't 'spin' while your unscrewing the ring...
Jay
Do not open.jpg

P.S. Just let me know when your ready for a blu-ray! :cool: I can build one with the same host as your red, or you can get my mini 'Pocket Pal' build:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1212910842/0

Im very happy with my laser from jayrob i chose the acrylic lens, its running at 243.7mw, it arived in 4 days to the U.K.its so impressive! The packaging was also really nice. I would like to vouch for the quality of Jayrob's products.They are very special.

jayrob

gunsimon0077 said:
Im very happy with my laser from jayrob i chose the acrylic lens, its running at 243.7mw, it arived in 4 days to the U.K.its so impressive! The packaging was also really nice. I would like to vouch for the quality of Jayrob's products.They are very special.

Thanks Simon! Good to know it got there so quick...

Tomius, I got yours done. I have been getting slight differences (a couple of mA's), in the DDL drivers. I guess it's just a very small variance in the 3 ohm resistors. Or, the LM317.

Anyway, your DDL driver with a 3 ohm 1 watt resistor, is putting out 418mA's...

Tomius Tamas Csala 7-16-08.jpg

I got a peak reading of 238.8mW's. It will be in Thursday's mail. (no warning label per your request)
Jay

Hey Jay, on that link you gave me to that dvd burner where I can harvest the OC7190 diode says the item has been deactivated. I was wondering where you get your diodes now?

jayrob

Iceweasel said:
Hey Jay, on that link you gave me to that dvd burner where I can harvest the OC7190 diode says the item has been deactivated.  I was wondering where you get your diodes now?

I haven't been able to find the Optiarc 7190A drives anymore either. I have been using the Pioneer 115D open can diodes now. I have adjusted the prices for this diode choice only...
Jay

I did some tests today with the acrylic lens and afterall it's not that better to burn at distace,the max distance I could light a match was 25.5' ,with the glass lens I can burn 23' away.It's better to burn faster up to 20',but after that it doesn't extend the burning range much. :p

jayrob

GamerBR said:
I did some tests today with the acrylic lens and afterall it's not that better to burn at distace,the max distance I could light a match was 25.5' ,with the glass lens I can burn 23' away.It's better to burn faster up to 20',but after that it doesn't extend the burning range much. :p

Interesting stuff.... I never really tried to compare the two at distance.

In the closer ranges, like 5' to 10', I found the acrylic lens much better for burning...
Jay

jayrob

Paradox3713, your driver is at the 'most recommended' setting for these Pioneer 115D long open can diodes. (420 ish mA's) It turned out very nice! :cool:

Paradox3713 8-05-08.jpg

* Pioneer 115D diode.
* Meredith glass lens.
* FlexDrive set @ 421mA's
* Putting out a steady 286.2mW's

It will be in tomorrow's mail! (Tuesday)
Jay

P.S. Batteries included. Remember to only use 3.0 volt lithium batteries with this FlexDrive build. Do not use 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries.

Roger that! Like sweet! Thanks alot Bro. Too freaking kewl.

'Tac'