Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Noob question, IR to green?

matt z

Hello all. As the title states, im a noob, and I am looking to build a green laser. The most powerful green modules I can find are in the 200mw range. I would like mine to be 200mw-300mw.

I know green lasers are basically IR lasers that change the IR to green. Can this be done in a handheld host? And what parts would I need to take the beam from IR to green? How much IRmw would I need to get 200mw-300mw of green?

hopefully my questions were not too noobish,
matt z

If your doing this thinking it'll be cheaper than buying a prebuilt module, then your going to be greatly disappointed.

There's also not a whole lot of ways unless you have access to a full featured machine shop... and know how to use every piece of equipment properly, that your going to get a home built DPSS to fit in a handheld.

532nm DPSS lasers generally have around ~20% efficiency. That means you'd need between 1.3 and 1.5W of IR to get 300mW of green.

The cheapest way to get a 300mW handheld is to buy one(there is a CNI group buy going on right now).. Pretty much all hobbyists who 'roll their own' DPSS do it for the sake of doing it. Not because they think they can do it cheaper. It doesn't take long adding up component prices to realize how much it costs to get a high power output that's both stable and reliable in something that will be sturdy enough to take any abuse... like a handheld would.

matt z

Thanks a ton. Thats exactly what i was looking for. And thanks for the heads up on the group buy.