Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

No IR filter?

Ok so I remember these videos I saw a long time ago. They showed a 50mW with an IR filter and a 50mW without one. First off, the normal 50mW WITH IR filter shot at a Coherent pocket laser check meter displayed just that, average of around 50mW with some peaks and lows but next the 50mW WITHOUT an IR filter showed off like 500mW of power, they said its because the laser check cant tell the difference between green and IR and just measures the power.

So if I took the IR filter off (yes I know its very dangerous) it would land me some huge amount of power like that, I asked the question a while back and somebody said I would only get like an extra 10mW of power? And yes I know that IR is not like a laser beam and you have to be at its focus point to burn stuff well.

Removing the IR filter really won't be worth it, you will get more power but it won't be very useful, you won't get 500mW if that's what your asking. If you just want to burn, take out the crystal set and slap a lens in front of it so it has a close focal point, if the DX True 50s have a 500mW Pump, then you will have a 500mW IR laser.

Oh yea and one last question, its the crystals that the IR passes through that makes the green light, right? So if I would take off the crystals I would get an IR laser and then like you said, slap a lens on it and you got a good burner.

xJumper said:
Oh yea and one last question, its the crystals that the IR passes through that makes the green light, right? So if I would take off the crystals I would get an IR laser and then like you said, slap a lens on it and you got a good burner.
Yep, the crystals are what make the green light. A good thing about the DX50 is that the crystal set just unscrews out (or so I've heard) so if you ever want it to be a green laser again, you can pretty much just screw it back in until the dot is at its brightest.

because 5mW greenie crystals are weak, and aligning crystals is a son of a bitch to do. Even if you do mount the crystals right in the 200mW IR, you have... a 5mW greenie, which you had before anyway. All you just did was swap the wavelengths of the lasers... o_O

xJumper said:
So what is it that cost so much in lasers then, diode or crystals?
It is definitely the crystals + labor for alignment. 808nm laser diodes are dirt cheap these days so it all comes down to the crystals. Crystals don't turn all of the IR light into green either, 10%-25% efficiency is the most common. But also, the size of the crystals matters too, the crystals in a 5mW green laser these days will only put out a max of 5mW of green, no matter how much IR you pump into them.

>if the DX True 50s have a 500mW Pump, then you will have a 500mW IR laser

So Styropyro if what you say is true than why is it that dragonlasers is selling 808nm 200mW IR lasers @ 200$ when you could just get a crappy greenie with out the IR filter and crystals and you would have around if not MORE of that power.

xJumper said:
>if the DX True 50s have a 500mW Pump, then you will have a 500mW IR laser

So Styropyro if what you say is true than why is it that dragonlasers is selling 808nm 200mW IR lasers @ 200$ when you could just get a crappy greenie with out the IR filter and crystals and you would have around if not MORE of that power.
Well, the one Dragonlasers is selling is a CNI and it is better quality, but when it comes down to price, pulling the crystal set out of a cheap "100mW" greenie is the obvious best way for IR.

styropyro said:
[quote author=xJumper link=1211032760/0#10 date=1211076798]>if the DX True 50s have a 500mW Pump, then you will have a 500mW IR laser

Well, the one Dragonlasers is selling is a CNI and it is better quality, but when it comes down to price, pulling the crystal set out of a cheap "100mW" greenie is the obvious best way for IR.[/quote]

absolutely. close range burning like crazy!