Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

no beam diode, but red inside.

Benm

The red light you are seeing is -definitely- IR.

The problem could be blown pump diode (likely if you powered it from any powersource without a driver), something that is very hard to repair and not worth the effort on a $10 module. You typically still be able to see some IR light in this case as the pump diode bascially works like a (powerful) LED, but it will never be useful to pump the crystal set again.

All this is assuming the diode is actually blown. If it was supplied without a driver, you need to control the current to the diode carefully. If the current is too low, the pump diode will emit red light but the doubling process will not work... so increasing the current a bit can be worthwhile if in doubt.

As for green modules without a driver: you rarely see them indeed, but it would save me time removing the driver when using them in projectors and such, so i guess there is a market for them.

Yea what Benm said and if you have a NV set you can look at a IR diode.
I have a cheep NV monocular I use for just that, looking at IR diodes.
good IR diodes look different than bad ones with NV equipment.

Last edited:
Yea what Benm said and if you have a NV set you can look at a IR diode.
I have a cheep NV monocular I use for just that, looking at IR diodes.
good IR diodes look different than bad ones with NV equipment.

May have to look into that! How cheap are you talking about? I may have to do that.

And very nice press btw. They came in, Very well machined.

IR can be viewed with most digital and cellphone cameras... Just try it with your TV remote.

Then you can gauge the relative brightness between the VERY weak IR remote and the VERY strong IR output from your laser...

IR can be viewed with most digital and cellphone cameras... Just try it with your TV remote.

Then you can gauge the relative brightness between the VERY weak IR remote and the VERY strong IR output from your laser...

Thanks for the input.