Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nigerian scam artist (REALLY??)

Alright well I'm sure we've all received the emails, this one was a little different though. In my experience, they have always tried to pay with a money order (fake of course) they overpay you etc etc have you send it back, whatever.

This guy said he was paypal verified and would send me payment via paypal, I was just a little curious so I thought I would mess with him a little.

From "brenda jones"
Hello, i just wanna know if this item is still up for sale and how much its goona cost me to get it...

thanks

My response:
yes it is still available. all the info you seek is in the ad.

"Brenda Jones"
Thanks for you reply,i am located in Remsenburg city
in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my
son schooling outside the state as a Xmas gift .I have
been trying to buy this on ebay but its so very
stressful buying on ebay.I will offer you $210
so as to close the auction as soon as possible.
I will be paying through PAYPAL because i have
a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back
with your paypal email address so i can make payment
into your paypal account.Once payment clears,shipment
will be handled by me through my personal fedex account,
so you dont have to pay for shipment.Get back to me
if my approval is granted.I would like to see the pictures

please.
Thanks

Me:
i will take 210 with shipping. my paypal is m#$on(i$#n^osi)s@gm#ai&l.c!om pictures are in the ad.

"Brenda Jones"
Alright,thanks for the reply.I will make the payment online asap.They
will send you a notification mail to confirm the payment to you.Once you
receive the confirmation mail from them it means the payment has been
approved and dont forget to let me know when it is approved

---I then recieve two semi-convincing emails from "service@paypal.com" (that's not the email address, thats the name, lol.) The first is titled Notification of instant payment etc etc.. The address is in nigeria, not new york. There was a lot of BS at the bottom stating that the transaction had been approved but would not go through til shipping blah blah blah... scam, duh. and I get a second email from "service@paypal.com" 2 minutes later saying You've Made a Sale - Ship out the Item... with more BS, really trying to look legit but totally failing.

My reply to "Brenda"::pop:
Hello, I received the emails but they are fake, I have received no money, please send money to my paypal account and not fake emails please, thank you.

"Brenda Jones"
hello what are you talking about after i have make the payment and the money was deducted from my paypal account....and for you to comfirm here is my paypal email address you can called paypal and comfirm..

Me::pop:
I have double checked (I didn't) and you indeed did not send me any money. The "paypal" emails did not come from paypal. To rectify the situation, all you have to do is send me the money through paypal. Thank you.

"Brenda Jones"
yes what are you talking about now bcos i have make the paymeny
through paypal and what are you talking about right now...

Me::pop:
You have not made the payment through paypal, I have confirmed this with paypal. (I didn't) I recieved a fraudulent email claiming to be paypal, but I knew it could not have been you since you live in new york and the address was from nigeria. I am %120 positive you have not sent payment, perhaps you didn't complete the transaction and you thought you had (there are 2 or 3 screens you have to confirm before payment is actually sent) If you check your balance I'm sure you will see you still have the money you thought you sent. Get back to me when this is all sorted out! Thanks! =]

Sadly Brenda did not email me again, perhaps she's okay with me keeping her $310:evil: (She agreed to 210, way over asking price, then sends me 310)

:crackup:

Last edited:

SO you ended up getting money in the end???? and you didn't send the item??
am I reading this wrong?

Asherz

Fail :)

I have yet to receive any of these emails, luckily.

Asherz

am I reading this wrong?

Nononono,

Basically, she said she had sent the money, then sent him FAKE paypal emails which said she had paid to make it look as if he had received the paypal money when in reality he hadn't.

I guess she then thought he would ship the item and then just cut all contact, therefore receiving an item without paying :)

lol no no I didn't get any money haha. Sorry I should have clarified that, the last line was a bit of sarcasm.

Rob

am I reading this wrong?
No, he never received any money. Only fake PayPal emails saying that he had.

Edit: Oops beat me too it.

I have yet to receive any of these emails, luckily.

Really? I get one almost everytime I post something of value on craigslist, sometimes more than one for the same item. There always using money orders though, this was my first 'paypal' scammer.

jaycey

Have a read here Welcome to 419Eater

This is a site dedicated to playing the scammers at their own game.

The results that they have had are hilarious, some of the stories are long reads but are worth it, they manage to get some of the scammers to make amature films, go on trips, and make sculptures. The lengths these scammers will goto if they think they are onto some cash is incredible (as is their stupidity!)

Lol, I have to cash in on this reverse-scammer stuff.
Did you read the disclaimer?
Don't do it. The person that did it in the other link is an incredibly experienced "scambaiter". Additionally these people are up to no good and are known to kill and torture unsuspecting Americans that fall for the scam. You wouldn't want that to happen to you.

Did you read the disclaimer?
Don't do it. The person that did it in the other link is an incredibly experienced "scambaiter". Additionally these people are up to no good and are known to kill and torture unsuspecting Americans that fall for the scam. You wouldn't want that to happen to you.

that's the idea.... just pretend to be falling for their crap, but be trolling them the whole time.