Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I thought I'd get online and quickly choose a green lazer light for my hubby, but I see it's way too complicated for quick. His buddy got one and I think it'd be a good birthday present for him. There are so many of them and from reading the comments some of them are pure rip-offs, and I don't want to order a piece of crap birthday present. This would be his first, and he is a bit of a modification guy, with collector instincts, so it probably won't be his last. I am now actually quite intrigued myself! And maybe a wee toy one for the ten yr old. So help me out here, what would be a good starter for him, any idea? I'd like to get off the computer and catch some rays.............:undecided:

Welcome to the forum.

There is a Wealth of information here thats for sure. Do Not let the Search Bar Hide from You....

1st : Safety, you have not mentioned safety goggles. The lasers people use today can cause serious permanent eye damage. Click the links in my Sig. Your whole family needs a set of goggles. Each different color laser will need the right goggles to protect your eye from that color of Light. There are some goggles that cover a few different colors all in one. You Have to ware protection for your eyes when using your lasers. You should get the goggles 1st before you buy anything else. Do Not Buy Cheap Goggles! Just don't, plain on paying 35-50$ at least a pair.

Now once you get the right goggles for the whole family to protect your eyes from the different lasers your thinking of Buying. For your 1st lasers you should start low so you can understand the dangers with them. So like 20-100 mW, Green is the most visible because your eye can see that color better. Purple and Red are the Hardest to see so you would need them a higher mW to see them as good as the lower mW Greens. Stay away from the other colors until you have more experience as a family. If you want to point at stars out side (the only true time your safe to not have goggles on, "As long as your not pointing it around to any surface near you. and just mainly at the sky or distant objects"). Never point it at a airplane or even someones window from miles away you can still hurt them, and at higher mW you can cause them damage as well. 100-150 mW + will make black things smoke, pop ballons and burn better the higher mW it gos.

Lasers are Dangerous so Really Patrice caution and maybe not let your 10 year old play with it by them self. 1 Reflection with out Good goggles and you will have to live with it the rest of your life or theres, or someone else :eek:...

skitchwitch Welcome to LPF! You might not need glasses for the whole family, however when you get into the higher powers Glasses are a must. Just know that only persons wearing protection can be around a high power Laser, so that some sharing will have to occur if You only get a pair or two. Look at Ebay seller ItemQuickShip His lasers get good reviews here, but for affordable quality go with O-like. PM if You need more help.