Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie with lasers in Australia

Laik

I would buy a 100mW green dx module and put it in a pen style host. I did this but with a 50mW module. I had an old spring off a broken 1mW laser and i just soldered it on there and chucked it in a pen host. Hope you decide what to do.

Pen hosts are good unless you want long runtimes on any output over about 50mW. The larger the heatsink the better and pen hosts basically have none.

Last edited:

Laik

Yes, i agree. But it is a lot cheaper than a big torch host. I would say if you are on a budget, get a pen host (i think for a 100mw module the run time should be like 30 sec on 5 sec off, I'm just guessing). But if you can i would go for a clicky torch style host that has a heat sink. Here's one u might wanna use (it takes a cr123). http://tinyurl.com/aabj6mtuhb=1

There are cheaper and more reputable sources than ebay, but that is one way. Lazeerer for one would be my recommendation 10x over ebay any day.

For lasers especially you are usually better off with established websites or sellers here on the forum. If you have the option that is.

Laik

true, the trusted sites have more description about the item and better quality, on ebay all most everything is chinese and they dont normally give too good of a description on things, although i have no trouble annoying the ebayer and getting every little detail about it :D

That's if the ebayer can fully understand you or cares to bother telling you lol. And, you also trust that the parts were handled correctly(good luck proving ESD damage prior to receiving) and that they are spec. Even if ebay protects you its still a big problem to try and resolve issues like that usually.

Laik

Yeah, you just got to find the good ones. techhood and lilymaria2002 are good sellers.

Have you been able to LPM a module from them? Its not easy to find a reliable source for on spec modules. Lazereer so far appears to be the most reliable for spec from what I have seen. Max is also really cool and will take care of you if something is wrong.

Or you can grab a 50mW 532nm module from Fasttech for $10 or a 100mW for $32 from DX. Not that either one would be as high quality as Lazereer but the 50mW Fasttech module is so damn cheap it sort of doesn't matter if cost is the issue.

Laik

I totally agree with you :beer:
The 100mW modules are anywhere from 70-100mW (getting a true 100mW would be unlikley though). I have just discovered survival laser and its hosts are epic and they are cheap (well, at least the one i want anyway ;)), but with other items (most) they are really expensive. Anyone else agree? So im gonna put a phr 803t in their c6 hist assembly (one annoying thing is that you have to buy the battery contact board and the pill separately)hook it up to a v5 flex drive set to 110mA. Should be sweet :)

The host comes with a pill from SL. Also Gary offers a 10% off for LPF members with a code that has slipped my mind but I will give it to you when I get off. You can always grab a X-Blank contact board from cajunlasers for cheaper but then you have to pay shipping for that as well. Clif offers a discount as well.

SL may not be the cheapest source but the shipping is fast and the service is top notch. The products are also very high quality. His S4 host is one of my favorite C6 sized hosts.

Last edited:

Laik

I got the discount code (using the search bar, are you proud of me ;) ahahaha) and you don't have to pay for shipping when you purchase from survival lasers, do you? Also do you think it would be worth paying extra and getting a purple heat sink, do you think it will look better with one?

The last time I bought something from SL there was shipping costs but I don't know about now. An anodized heatsink looks quite nice and is a pretty good finishing touch but isn't totally necessary... though a laser isn't totally necessary so in that train of thought definitely go with an anodized heatsink LOL.