Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie wants a laser

Hi, I've been looking into getting a laser pointer and have checked out many websites and read through some forums. I'm totally confused as to what I want to get and where to get it from though.
I want to spend around £50 - £100 ($75 - $130) and want the best that I can get. All I have figured out is that I want to stay away from wickedlasers.com.
I want one that has definately got an IR filter though as I don't want to go blind slowly.
I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the info, I have found some blue lasers on ebay for £125 for a 50mw laser. This seems like a good price. However the seller states there is no IR filter as blue lasers do not need them as blue lasers produce a single wave length. Does that sound right ?

killercop said:
Thanks for the info, I have found some blue lasers on ebay for £125 for a 50mw laser. This seems like a good price. However the seller states there is no IR filter as blue lasers do not need them as blue lasers produce a single wave length. Does that sound right ?
that's just wrong. Blue Lasers work the same as Green Lasers, just that they're different colours. an IR filter is still required to filter the IR leakage. unless you're talking about Blu-Ray laser, which is produced directly from a laser diode.

here is what he says about the laser

" Breakerproducts is pleased to offer our customers this amazing blue violet laser pointer. The laser runs on two high powered AAA batteries, these are not your standard AAA batteries. The output is 3.7V, 320/350 mAH"

AND

"These lasers are quite safe compared to other laser pointers. We get many questions asking if these have Infa Red Filters on them. The simple answer is NO.

Why is there no Infa Red Filter fitted? the laser diode is single wavelength so no IR is emmited from the aperture. An IR Filter is not needed and will only reduce the brightness when operating.

No IR results in a much safer laser pointer !!!

This laser pointer can be used as biomedical instrumentation, for medical imaging, fluorescence sensing, spectroscopy and microscopy"

daguin

killercop said:
also ...
•Output Power: 50mW
•Wavelength: 405nm
•Class: IIIb Laser

This is a "blu-ray" laser, not a blue laser.  It is violet NOT blue.  Violet diodes do not produce IR light.  You can also get better prices and service for a violet laser here or you can learn to build you own.

Peace,
dave

Thanks Dave sorry I'm new to this forum but who can I buy one off. Also are these safe I.E no safety glasses needed.

Thanks in advance

diachi

Also, just because it doesnt have any IR doesn't mean it is safe. If you get this laser in your eye it WILL blind you , and cause damage to your retina that cannot be repaired.

-Adam

daguin

killercop said:
Thanks Dave sorry I'm new to this forum but who can I buy one off. Also are these safe I.E no safety glasses needed.

Thanks in advance

Just check the Buy/Sell/Trade board in this forum. You will find many more options for a violet laser. Find a style you like, but check the reputation of the seller. Even here there is the potential for poor quality, although we usually expose them fairly quickly. You can check the builder's reputation by clicking ion that little number right under their avatar.

When you ask about "safety glasses" I am assuming you mean laser goggles. If you are going to be shining the laser indoors or burning stuff with the laser you should have goggles. If you are just going to be shining it outdoors and into the sky, etc. then you can be careful enough to protect your eyes. I recommend that you get goggles as soon as you can even if you don't plan on doing anything inside or burning stuff. It is pretty tempting to pop a balloon or light a match to impress your friends with your new toy. ;)

Even 50mW is enough to blind you or someone else. I demonstrated this the other day when I ignited a match using a 35mW violet laser! If the seller was implying that you wouldn't need eye protection at 50mW, he was either lying to make a sale or he is ignorant of the danger. Even the light reflected of off a smooth shiny surface can cause damage to your eyes.

I recommend that you read this sticky before buying a violet laser
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1219161671

Peace,
dave

jnrpop

If you look in the buy/sell/trade section there are normally a few people selling them.
currently i think darklandz, IgorT possibly and propably others too, just have to search.