Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

newbie--- question about laser purchase

Hey guys, I came across these forums today while doing a little research on lasers.  I was considering purchasing the "high powered 10mw" laser they have at thinkgeek.com, but was looking for others opinions/reviews on this laser before investing.  I mainly plan on using it for star gazing, but also some general at-home experiments as well.  It costs about $150 and that's my price range right now.  Is this a decent laser or are there better options out there for that kind of money?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the specs that thinkgeek.com lists for this laser:
- Extremely bright green laser at 532 nm wavelength
- Output power of 10mW (Class IIIB laser product)
- 5-point user safety system (including master key and dongle plug)
- Range of approximately 20,000 ft (6096 m) in darkness
- Constant wave output (as opposed to pulse output)
- 1.1 mm beam diameter at source
- Dimensions: 7.5" x .94" diameter
- Takes 2 "AA" batteries (included)
- 6 month warranty

Attachments

• green_laser.jpg
    green_laser.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 162

do you think i'd be better off getting the 35mW pointer from dragonlasers for $130 instead?

S

SenKat

Yes - I think the DL model would serve you better - as the picture looks like an Envee model - either drastically underpowered, or a knock off type....either way, I think you would be happier with the higher powered one !

The WL 15mW series might be good to look into. Relatively low price, good quality, and all the "15mWs" I order are normally what other companies would call 35-70mW lasers.

Stevetexas, the Envees are relatively similar to the CNI black/gold lasers, and you could mod an Envee, but it would be highly recommended against! CNI makes a lot of portables in increments from 5mW and up, and likely has it down as to what the most they need to spend is to get the necessary power.

SenKat, they actually do make the "Envee" (not their real name anyway) lasers in lower powers, but by special request only. Edmunds stocks some 50mW ones I believe. I believe standard production is only of 60 and 80mW models.

great! thanks a lot for the information, guys. I like thinkgeek.com, but i had a feeling they might be charging a little extra for a product that i could easily find for cheaper after doing a little more digging. so now i'm interested in what DL and WL have to offer. again, thanks a lot for the info.

I have to agree with Pseudo. My WL 15 mW lights matches!!! :D
The Executive series are great and HIGHLY recommended! :cool:

If you do decide to go with it in the end, you can use this link to purchase and save 5% off your order!

h t t p : / / w w w.wickedlasers.com/index.php?refer= 1 0 0 1 4
Take out spaces ;D

Regards, Josh

One thing to consider with star pointing is your night vision - be careful not to get too powerful a pointer or you will wash out your rods and night vision. 15 mW should be MORE than adequate unless you live in a desert with 0% humidity and no pollution.

Odds are good you'll end up with about half a dozen pointers or more by the end of the year since these things are so addictive - you'll have a choice which one you use for which purpose. ;)