Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie needs help

Morgan

What LED?

He's talking about a laser module, and 3V is fine. Hooking up an LED light as well is the next part, if he wants to. Lets just concentrate on the laser here okay?

M
:)

horhay

Ahhh. Now I'm just super confused. Let's just say I want to get a 5v green laser module, a 3v red laser module and a Cree LED from DX and hook them all up to the same battery into a PEQ box. Would I need any drivers, resistors, circuits, etc.?

red laser module + green laser module + cree LED = 3 :)

if the lasers have integrated drivers and the same voltages i dont see what else needs to be said on those specifics, unless i've got something wrong with the setup

Morgan

A green module will more than likely be 3V. A red laser will likely need more than 3V even if it's with a decent linear driver and the LED... Depends...

These are things you need to work out how to run seperately first I think.

Get them working independently and then try to figure a way to work them from a single source. That would be the proper engineering way to get to your goal.

I'm no trying to be clever but, once they're working seperately, it's then a question of, 'system intergration'.

M

horhay

^ditto. would a resistor in series with the driver input do the trick for lowering the voltage? now i see the complication. which red module are you planning on using?

I understand what you guys are saying.

If greens come in 3v, then I think I'm going to get a 3v red as that would make things simpler, right?

Morgan

^ditto. would a resistor in series with the driver input do the trick for lowering the voltage? now i see the complication. which red module are you planning on using?

It could, but you'd have to choose it carefully after knowing the rest of the parameters... Tricky for a beginner too in my opinion. A 1n400x diode would drop about 0.7V but...

I understand what you guys are saying.

If greens come in 3v, then I think I'm going to get a 3v red as that would make things simpler, right?

Yes, if you can get a 3V red module, and a 3V green, then do that and you can run the two in parallel.

Why you'd need both red and green though confuses me. If it's for aesthetics then fine but 5mW green will overpower a low power red easily.

That is your choice though. Pictures as you progress would be welcomed though.

I add my good lucks too. ;)

M

horhay

i think morgan's saying that 3v reds are either really low power or mismarked. as he said, 2.5V is typical for a diode, and linear drivers almost always have more than half a volt of a voltage drop.

what LED are you using thats under/at 3V? from what i remember white LED's use more... with LEDs you might be able to get by with a tiny bit under though.

EDIT: people are replying too fast :D maybe you should look into using more than 3V, and then use morgan's diode idea. a 3.7V rechargeable battery is 3.7, so one diode for the green. 4.2-.7=3.5V at full charge wouldnt kill it... and the red, you could upgrade to a more powerful one that takes more volts. same with the LED. just an idea

Last edited:

Morgan

^ True enough.

This is a tricky build because you're looking at three seperate things that require different voltages and currents.

To go a little bit more advanced, (and quite a bit more expensive!), I'd suggest two Flexdrive drivers for the lasers. This is a buck/boost driver that would allow them both to get the voltage they require and allow you to set the current from a single power source but require skill and equipment to set up. I'm not saying you do not possess these but I suspect you might not.

My best advice would be to; work slow and assemble each part seperately. Once you understand how each part works, then work to put them in a single housing with a single power source.

It may not be what you want to hear right away but the learning you will gain will never be lost.

M

horhay

whoa two pages for this...

flexdrives are for those who can solder wires to something you can stick up your nose :) for a first build? ehh. $50 more is a lot for two 5mW lasers that already have integrated drivers.

Morgan

Hence I said, "To go a little bit more advanced...". I think the OP needs to work out how to run just one of these systems before intergrating all three. That's what I'm trying to steer them towards. I think you'd agree that's the sensible route. Not the quickest, but the most sensible and productive in the long run.

M

Everything just got so much more advanced. I'm going to ask a couple of my friends and one of my teachers to see what if they can help me as I am sure that I won't be able to do this myself. I'm thinking of taking your advice and just going with a single green or a single red. I might also wire the lasers to one battery while wiring the LED to another battery.