Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie looking to buy a high powered blue laser

Hey there, I like lasers and I'm sure many of you do too. However, I'm pretty new at this and I don't want to get scammed into a shitty buy.

I'm looking to buy a 1W+ 445~nm Blue laser for under 200 bucks. I've looked at some recommendations found on some other threads and so far I've checked out Scifi lasers, laserbtb, lazerer and jet lasers. I've heard good and bad things about all these sites so I'm looking for your advice.

So far I'm leaning towards scifi's 2W version of this: SF501B 445nm Blue

I'm pretty new at this so tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated. (possibly specific recommendations?)

Last edited:

3Pig

If you are new to lasers I really wouldn't suggest getting a 1w 445. I'm scared whenever I use mine, even with goggles.

I suggest building your own or have one sent in seperate components, seeing as you are in canada

1W is a high power for a first laser, though I'm not one to talk as I myself broke this "rule", and I did not even have safety glasses at first.

you need good safety glasses, period. two pairs is better so at least 1 other person may watch safely. lasers are more dangerous than knives and guns in many ways, no joke.

and where did you read bad things about jetlasers?

might also consider an into thread, and there are many useful stickies to be read

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hey there, I like lasers and I'm sure many of you do too. However, I'm pretty new at this and I don't want to get scammed into a shitty buy.

I'm looking to buy a 1W+ 445~nm Blue laser for under 200 bucks. I've looked at some recommendations found on some other threads and so far I've checked out Scifi lasers, laserbtb, lazerer and jet lasers. I've heard good and bad things about all these sites so I'm looking for your advice.

So far I'm leaning towards scifi's 2W version of this: SF501B 445nm Blue

I'm pretty new at this so tips and pointers will be greatly appreciated. (possibly specific recommendations?)

As 3Pig and Shakenawake said, a 1w blue laser might not be the best laser to start with, but you could buy a set of 3 lasers (red, green, violet) off eBay for around $8. They are usually much more powerful than the 5mW rating but they are much better to practice with before jumping at a death star. I have already had my green and violet laser reflected back into my eye once or twice and I am very glad it wasn't anything close to a class 4 laser.

I ordered 2 pairs of safety glasses as I would rather not have any more flashes to my eyes.

But as for which company to choose from once you are ready, many people here recommend Jet Lasers, Laserbtb and Sci-Fi Lasers of the four you listed.

Laserbtb has been known to have pretty high quality metal hosts and diodes with pretty good prices most of the time. Their customer service is OK and they are usually willing to send 1 replacement laser if one gets stuck at customs.

Jet Lasers seems to be almost like Laserbtb but with slightly higher prices and with more appealing hosts. I do not know much about their diode quality or customer service but I usually hear good things about them.

Sci-Fi Lasers is actually located in Israel with the owner being a member on the forums. I hear they have great customer service and with some of the best deals for high quality handheld lasers in metal flashlight hosts.

Lazerer used to be a great company, always responding to emails and selling high quality lasers for awesome prices but they have recently gone downhill FAST. Some people do not even receive their lasers from them today and their customer service has disappeared almost completely. So I would recommend staying with the other 3 companies or buying from a forum member.

Some forum members like Jayrob or Blord also make very nice custom lasers with even better prices a lot of the time.

I hope this helps and be sure to use eye protection!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be sure to invest in a pair of quality eye protection. Any suggestions for that?

Here, check these goggles out: SurvivalLasers.com

They have some of the best eye protection for the price. I was told recently that there are way better goggles than these but eagle pair safety glasses are supposed to be awesome protection for the price (ranging from $40 - $60).

If you want something slightly cheaper, you could also pick up a set of glasses from Dragon Lasers for $20. I hear they are pretty good for the price but probably not close to as high quality as from Survival Lasers.

the dragonlaser glasses are ok, but after shipping they will be comparable in price, coming from china and all

3Pig

I can vouch for the eagle pair from survival laser, they are comfy, look wicked and are tried and tested by the community. Best protection in that price range IMO

They also smell like candy when you take them out for the first time. :)

i agree, 1w or even more is just too powerful for average use, you will need goggles all the time to use it, unless you point it up in the sky then you dont need. But you should buy a less powerful maybe then i can recommend u should look at laserbtb, they have a 100mw 450nm laser, i bought that one waiting for it to come as my 1w is just too powerful to use really. And the dot on the 445 lasers is kinda bad too, very wide and ugly looking..

and i like the laserbtb hosts they have nice safety features keylock and the shutter lock makes it safe even lower powered lasers i dont want hit by accident in my eyes.

Last edited: