Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newbie here: Will looking at the laser's dot for a minute from 1 meter with no glasses cause harm?

IceFireForce

Hello,

I just bought my first blue laser. Not knowing enough about it, I fell a “victim” to the seller (got it second hand) as he was demoing it for me prior to purchase. He happily shown me how it burns a matchstick, white paper (!) and blue plastic cap. This happened outside in pure daylight and we were both looking at the action unprotected from about one meter afar. It was tried on the ground, on soil, so no reflective surfaces to make a bad situation worse.

I quickly realized that this isn’t how you handle a blue laser, probably just because of the extreme brightness of the dot and because after I felt dull slight pain in my eyeballs. No after images or dark spots.

I was not looking the whole time, I instinctively placed my hand between the dot and my eyes a few times while he was happily showing off for me...

I will obviously never do this again myself. Should I be worried from such exposition though?

IceFireForce

No replies one hour in. Perhaps I should rephrase this - I am just trying to understand if my exposure as outlined has been outrageously dangerous, or just it's that I have "not done the best thing and I should generally not do it", but it's not too risky / concerning as a one-off accident. So - have you looked at the dot in a similar way, probably at the beginning prior to knowing more about lasers?

IceFireForce

I got the laser on Saturday and did not register and post before Monday. I did use that time to scout the internet and try find as much info as possible. The thing is, I found controversial answers - both that it is safe and okay and that it is damaging and not acceptable. And then I registered and asked...

To be completely safe you should wear safety glasses when in interiors and while burning things. When you want to see the beam fix the laser to the table and aim it at non flamable dark colored material. I don't wear safety glasses outdoors spot is too far away to do something to my eyes.

If you will follow this nothing should ever happen and you should have no problems with eyes caused by laser when you get old. Just common sense.

Personally I don't fix the laser to the table and not always wear safety glasses indoors but If you want to be COMPLETELY safe you should follow what is written above.
It's like crossing the road. You can rely on your ears and go or look both sides to make sure.
At least this is my opinion.

IceFireForce

Well said. I understand and I thank you for your time putting this into perspective. I think it will be a good idea that a post would be made in the Laser Safety section describing in particular all cases related to staring at the dot under different circumstances.

IceFireForce

Okay. I feel the need to give back. I will write this in my both two similar threads and will, of course, never double post again.

I went to a thorough eye exam today. I have thankfully not suffered any serious damage, but my ocular pressure is rises a lot - it is 22/26 on left and right eyes with the normal being around 15. Now, this may be also due to extended staring at a computer screen, but it is believed that the viewing of the extremely bright dot from about 3 feet for about a 30 seconds has helped.

It can be reversed. But the moral of the story is simple. Read everything you need to generally know PRIOR to pressing the on/off switch of your first laser. Period. I can only imagine how many will purchase a cheap blue laser and “play around with it”, not initially knowing the rules. And that is how things can get from great to the worst. I really wish there was a way EVERYONE will be warned upfront when they first get their hands on anything above 5 mw.

I make a promise to myself to be extremely careful from now on and either sell the laser or buy two eagle pairs and operate it with the carefulness one would exude with a gun.