Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Newb Questions. 1w 808nm Lens for Axiz module?

Thinking of getting one of the cheap 1w 808nm laser diodes from ebay to do some testing with. Where can I get a suitable Axiz module lens for it?

Can these types of diodes be focused at longer ranges?

Thanks

It's IR so you won't see the beam to focus. You'll need one of those cards to detect the IR to try and focus the beam. You can get the module direct from Aixiz, and they might have a lens coated for 808. Send them an email, and post a request in the buy/sell section of the forum.

Get one of the O-Like 9mm modules, as the 1W 808 you're looking at (link?) is most likely 9mm, they have one with a red/ir coated lens I believe.

As a fellow newb here, can I (perhaps overstepping my credibility) suggest that it is probably a bad move to encourage this fellow to start out with a 1W 808nm IR laser?

OP:
- At 1W, that laser can do real significant damage to your eye.
- IR goggles are expensive, and it's difficult to find even cheap less effective versions on eBay, etc. So I'm guessing you don't have, and won't buy, IR goggles.
- You won't be able to see the beam. I'm sure you won't stare into the diode, but you'll be unaware of reflections that could (realistically) cause permanent eye damage instantaneously.

I think IR is a dangerous place to start your experimentation. I'm not going there myself. If cheap is your objective, buy a red diode capable of 250mW, an aixiz module with a plastic lens, and some cheapo goggles off eBay. They won't be quality goggles, and that diode won't shoot down missiles. But you can probably burn with it, and the goggles will probably save your eye(s) from minor accidental exposure.

Hi thanks for the concern, I don't think we can ever have enough people stressing the safety issues. I've got other 1w lasers and 100mw+ IR diodes. I use a CCTV camera to view the beam to focus them. Not sure I will use my expensive night vision much to view it at first. Having the ability to focus it will allow me to use it at long range with night vision or up close for burning.