Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEWB lookin for a good deal

riffyb

AHAHHA thats halrious. anyways. I was so impatient that I ordered a 30mw Laser last night for dx. I guess I will learn to like it in the mean time till I get a new one. Any ideas how I can make this more intense? batteries to use? anything I should do to it? and yes I will get goggles. I would go for the 50mw I should have but that is back ordered. I dont mind waiting. And yes Ill get goggles again haha

Y

yew.sir-name

you'll enjoy your dx30 muchly, i've got two of them. here is some beam pics i took one night http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185299836

to make it more intense how?
batteries... lithiums are reportedly the best
anything you should do to it... treat it like you would a kitten (but less stroking). don't drop it, green lasers break easy. just like kittens they're not fond of water. don't point at cars/planes/eyes/bears etc. general common sense

Daedal

Did anyone say NO EMS SHIPPING? Just a word to the wise... DX + EMS = lost laser! :(

Here are my thoughts on DX lasers... 30mW will probably be around 40mw, maybe 45 with lithiums (Energizer E2 Lithium brand, rechargeables are absolutely too deadly unless very high quality with voltage regulation internally). The 50mW will be probably spot on 50mW, might go as much as 55-60 with lithiums. the 200mW is one big ass laser! Literally, for $120, I'd buy it over and over. Well made, heavy and feels like power in your hands. It's mostly around 120mW, might go as 150mW on an extreme perhaps while on lithiums and IR filtering. With 120mW you could probably light a cigarette, but here's the spoiler... Light it, put it out, then light it with the laser. the 30mW will let you pop balloons, light matches, 50mW will do the same but at a little longer range.

[Disclaimer] With that done, BUY GOGGLES, buy LOTS of batteries... There is a thread in the Buy, Sell, trade about lithiums for $1.50 a piece. Use common sense, DO NOT point it at people, animals, cars, PLANES (NO, PLANES CAN LOCATE YOU AND SEND THE COPS TO YOU IN LESS THAN A MINUTE'S TIME), anything. If it moves, don't point at it. [/Disclaimer]

So have fun with it... You'll be impressing them with the beam that looks more like a light saber at night that with anything else until you get a more powerful unit. You will love it, and this power range is enough for a beginning laser enthusiast. This is a great laser for a great price and you will grow to love it. Take care of it though. DX lasers are very sensitive to shock, drops, dirt, pressure... etc. The power button will go out before the laser, and when it does just let us know and we will tell you exactly how to fix it for dirt cheap. The fix will even make the laser power output more reliable than it originally is... ;)

Oh... and welcome to LPF ;)

--DDL

riffyb

Thanks alot guys. I didnt think this could reach up to planes. Not like I would point it at them but thats just awsome to think. What did you mean " rechargeables are absolutely too deadly unless very high quality with voltage regulation internally" .. Also ill be buying goggles when the order ships. I ordered a UV led flashlight with a laser and 10 white LEDs built in. What can I do with the UV?

S

SenKat

You can spot scorpions with it :p they glow REALLY green when hit with UV !

Y

yew.sir-name

forgot to say about ems shipping, it's risky. but everything i've got with ems has been fine, though it's never just a laser with ems. better safe than sorry, i've noticed ems is no faster than normal shipping either. to read more about batterys go here http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1170276529. i have the same flashlight you orderd. uses 3aaa. the uv can be used to find invisible 'stains' on your friends sheets, or to test money (uv watermarks) or if you have invisible ink uv pens then you can write secret notes. cool beans! it's just a blacklight for your hands. works good on flourescent things too. i guarantee you'll hardly use it because you'll be too busy with your real laser. even though it's one laser you'll want to use it with both hands. them weak ass reds are so lame in comparison.

riffyb

I didnt choose EMS for shipping. Just the normal shipping Air Mail i think it was. It was a penny. THis is a good thing right??

Laq

i've noticed ems is no faster than normal shipping either......

EMS is conciderably faster when used for international shipping.

e.g. Shipping from USA to Europe (the netherlands) with priority airmail takes about 7 to 12 days.
Same shipping route with EMS will only take about 3 to 5 days (max.)

I think EMS is handled differently in every country. i actually think normal or priority mail, is handled the same in USA as EMS is handled in European countrys. (the standards are just way higher on fast shipping in US.

e.g. Normal post will not arrive within 2 weeks in Europe itself. :-/

and yes, more risk is involved for these packages at the international borders/airports. But there is a simple trick to avoid all troubles.

I worked in a main mail depot myself, and know the ins and outs on different types of mailing in Europe.
Fact is that 1 out of 3 packages :eek: will be opened when EMS is used and the amount of dollars for import is higher than 37 USD on the declaration. >result: tax bill will be added. (and maybe customs will check on contents)

If you stay below that amount on your EMS description.. get ready.. 1 out of 600 is the chance your package will be opened for routine checkup.
so you know what to do.. make sure the sender of the package doens't exceed the 30$ on EMS declarations and you'll be safe.

Cheers ;)

Y

yew.sir-name

yup riffy you did not use ems so it will be fine. my last package came in less than 2 weeks and i didn't use ems :)

Daedal

riffyb said:
Thanks alot guys. I didnt think this could reach up to planes. Not like I would point it at them but thats just awsome to think. What did you mean " rechargeables are absolutely too deadly unless very high quality with voltage regulation internally" .. Also ill be buying goggles when the order ships. I ordered a UV led flashlight with a laser and 10 white LEDs built in. What can I do with the UV?

Rechargeables usually have more juice in them and they release their energy quicker. Also, some cheap models do not have a voltage regulation... For example, I bought a cheap set of CR123A 3.0 Volt batteries... charged them, put them in a laser... DEAD! Tried another set... DEAD! Then I put the original ones in, DEAD! WTF?! Then I took my DMM and tested the rechargeable batt for voltage... at a full new charge it was putting out 19V!!!!! With a load it was putting out 7V at about 2 Amps!!! Needless to say, the diode was dead because the circuit wasn't made to handle that much (That was my fault mind you for not checking the new batteries). I now only use name-brand batteries and still check the voltage before putting them in any laser, not matter the size or quality.

Lasers all reach everywhere. It's light and it stretches on forever. The higher the power though, the more intense it is at further distances. A 30mW greenie can easily been seen on clouds on a good day(night I mean ;)) When you get a powerful enough laser and shine it at planes... it has enough light to manage to still be blinding and dangerous as far as a plane can go.

Also, the UV light will get you tons of fun. It's a handheld blacklight. Some of the better LED's (I made one with 16 UV LED's) will be brighter than those neon blacklights and would cost MUCH less... and be portable. :D

--DDL