Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New "Worlds most powerful handheld laser"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARG

It'll be up to spec, but as Things said the output would be huge. Combining two of them would be impractical as there are IR cmounts up to 20W.

There are loads of ways to have lots of power with IR. but as IE said what's the fun in that? Visible is where it's at. :p

Last edited:

It'll be up to spec, but as Things said the output would be huge. Combining two of them would be impractical are there are IR cmounts up to 20W.

There are loads of ways to have lots of power with IR. but as IE said what's the fun in that? Visible is where it's at. :p

I agree fully. Why bother with something you can't see when most of the fun is seeing the beam in midair and setting things on fire like some sci-fi movie. Plus you can walk outside and be a jedi with a mile long lightsaber XD

F4GRX

I agree that the lightsaber feeling is awesome.

But with such a high power (even if it's not visible) you can envision a DIY laser cutting cnc that will cut meaningful things and not just sheets of black paper :D

The beam divergence can be managed by a large, short focal distance lens, that will intercept the whole beam.

But with such a high power (even if it's not visible) you can envision a DIY laser cutting cnc that will cut meaningful things and not just sheets of black paper :D

The beam divergence can be managed by a large, short focal distance lens, that will intercept the whole beam.

This is totally true but note the threads title.

These super IR diodes are pretty standard and widely used already for applications such as that but the OP was suggesting turning it into a pointer.

Note on the lens, a smaller lens is needed the closer you can get it to the diode. This is the same thing that happens with our G1/2 lenses on our 445nm diodes. We get the lens much closer allowing for a greater percentage of the emitted light to be gathered but the lens size does not need to be increased.

Last edited:

F4GRX

you're right about the post title, sorry for that...

I don't know why, seeing this big diode, I imagined that the lens had to be quite far from it! But I agree, that's not right!

Omri

Off-Topic question, I'm new here can someone explain me how to make a topic? or PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.