Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to this forum (Australia)

Hey, my name is Andrew and im a complete newby to this forum. I made this account a while ago when I got into lasesrs a bit more and now im actually going to use it. Im currently working on a small project with an ebay laser host ( Because of Aus laws the highest success rate is to only get the parts separate) and I was going put in a module from DX and run it on an 18650 battery but Im not sure on its max voltage.

But enough about that, a few pointers would be much appreciated (no pun intended). Even though I have experience with slodering and laser saftey (glasses for anything >5mw).

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this

Andrew

Laser module link for the project: 200mW 532nm Green Laser Module (3V 11.9mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I was looking at the "200 mW 532nm module" offered for sale and the first feedback post was done by someone with an LPM and it measured 50 mW according to him. I thought under $25.00 was pretty cheap for a 200 mW module. I hope you look at these things before you purchase as many of these companies over estimate the power on their lasers. cough, Chinese.

Welcome mate! I am slightly skeptical of your slodering skills... ;)

Personally I would ditch that module and buy one from fasttech. Those Dealextreme modules never output what they are rated for.
Buy this instead, it's only 5 bucks and they can output over 100mw in some cases, they are dirt cheap and much better value.

I know how it can be when a new person with great slodering skill can make you feel...(I wrote it on my phone, sorry for any mistakes)

I wasn't really going for a 200mw modual anyway but I might aswell check it out if its cheaper. I was going to put it into a cheap housing (from ebay) because I like the look of it and because it uses 18650 batteries , I have also heard some good reviews about it. The ebay listing say that it is in Australia already so I won't have any customs issues with it.

Ebay laser link: New Super Green Laser Pointer Pen Clip Visible Beam Mark Direct 5 Mile power 1mw | eBay

Thanks,
Andrew

^ I guarantee you that pointer is over spec. and not a 1 mW green DPSS laser. For that reason and because I don't know all the ins and outs of your laws, you might not get it through.

I know, its more like +50mw or so. But its already in Sydney ( Im based in Townsville). And that fact that I got other pointers (cheap ebay pen style, the green also being over spec) about a month ago through Australia post. Im sure it will be fine. The point of getting it is just for the host anyway (pun intended).

Thank you for your concerns
Andrew

I must be missing something. You are getting a 50 mW pointer to remove the 532nm green DPSS laser module so you can install another 50 mW 532nm green DPSS laser module. Why?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Andrew. :)
There are many here that can help you. :beer:

Well yes my original plan does seem pointless now that I think about it, but I was doing it for a better driver and module, because the one inside is from a cheap and nasty Chinese pen style pointer (I have seen many proven reviews about this). But now I will go with the suggestion of the 100mw 532nm green DPSS module for around $6 to lower the price of the build (if I can even call it a build) to around $40 give or take.

If you would like to know more please ask because Im wide open to support and suggestions.

Andrew

Last edited:
Well yes my original plan does seem pointless now that I think about it, but I was doing it for a better driver and module, because the one inside is from a cheap and nasty Chinese pen style pointer (I have seen many proven reviews about this). But now I will go with the suggestion of the 100mw 532nm green DPSS module for around $6 to lower the price of the build (if I can even call it a build) to around $40 give or take.

If you would like to know more please ask because Im wide open to support and suggestions.

Andrew

When you get the new module, you will need to adjust the pot counterclockwise to the point where the 500 mW pump diode is not being over-driven. I got to thinking about this and it turns out these use basically the same driver as the 200 mW green modules which have a 1 watt pump diode. If you don't have an LPM or a bench power supply that can readout the current being pulled by the driver, you can use a DMM to limit the current to 500 mW. I pulled one out and found that for that one the pot was at the halfway mark. I'd buy more than one in case you have a problem with doing this for the first time.

Last edited:

Yeah, several years. If you buy three, they are $5.04 each. They are dirt cheap and worth pushing them to get the most out of them. I still have a few buried in my stock somewhere. You can replace that large resistor with a piece of straight wire and if you want, heat sink the SMD output transistor.

Edit: If you want to try to get 100 mW out of it you'll have to do this. That's still no guarantee that you'll get to 100 mW as only a few make it that high. Turns out I was thinking of the more expensive one with the 1 watt pump diode when I first gave you advice. That's an oops moment. Fortunately, I got to thinking about it and decided to find the ones I still had in stock to check it out. I've worked with many of these in powers from the cheap Fastech ones to the more expensive 200 mW output ones. I thought there might have basically the same driver, so I apologize for giving you incorrect information.

Last edited:
Ok ill give it ago but, will they last long or will they burn out after a few months or so?

Edit I was also thinking of getting a blue module aswell and see which is my favourite for this build and the other for another build later on, but I don't know how good the blue 405nm modules are like. Any advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

Last edited:

diachi

Ok ill give it ago but, will they last long or will they burn out after a few months or so?

Edit I was also thinking of getting a blue module aswell and see which is my favourite for this build and the other for another build later on, but I don't know how good the blue 405nm modules are like. Any advice?

Thanks,
Andrew

FYI, 405nm isn't blue, it's violet and really not very visible compared to 532nm.