Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to the LPF and looking for power burn!!!

Hi everyone,
I'm the noob on the forum.
Does anyone have advice on a high quality green pointer that I could use to light pyrotechnic displays (fireworks shows) from a distance of 15-20 feet?

I know it would be difficult to hold the laser steady enough to light a fuse from that distance, especially when the platform is floating; but the plan is to be able to ignite a small mound of black powder that will in turn light the fuse.

My 1st try with this was a total failure, I bought a wickedlaser spyder 2 that the wickedlaser support team told me that would not be any problem at all with their spyder 2 that holds the world record for portable laser power. When I finally got the spyder, it couldn't light black powder from any further than about 9 inches, the 2nd one I got from them was even worse. So now I'm done dealing with these overseas companies that can't make a decent product. I would a laser of 300-400mW of "real" laser power be capable of doing what I want?

I've visited laserglow and they have a hercules laser, but it's a little on the large size.

Any recommendations on a good choice of laser and output power required?

If there was anything a little less expensive than laserglow that would be a bonus.

thnx
Tim

I cant seem to think of anything that powerful that would be smaller than the hercules from laser glow i think that would be good tho for lighting fireworks from a distance You can also get a infared laser it would be cheaper, I think psuedonman might have some 400mw ones in stock just pm him,

(If anyone knows better please correct me about the power for lighting powder from that far.)

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

Rhith

Well with 300mW it should be no problem at all! But then again these are Wicked's products and they don't stand by them very well. Maybe try out one of the higher RPL's from www.optotronics.com The highest laser I have right now is 115mW and it gives some good kick but I don't have any black power to test it out on so I don't know what power you would need for that.

divdiv

I'm new to the forum, but from my limited experience, I can at least suggest you talk to the man that runs optotronics, even if you end up deciding on buying from a different company. He has a toll free number. He took the time to speak to me about my specific needs and he seems to know what he's talking about. He's got a good reputation, and he really took his time to explain a lot of things to me, for which I am very appreciative. The prices are also quite reasonable and if you're on the continental US, shipping will be a snap. And if there are any problems, it's certainly easier than dealing with an overseas company.

Also you might be able to get a farther distance if you use a match with a sharpie dot on it to make it go faster, It would probably light easier than black powder.

....lazer... ;D ;D ;D