Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers where to start?

Curious Student

Hi, I am new to LPF, I am currently a student studying Electrical Engineering and slowly looking into lasers. After some inspiration, I really want to get into lasers, as we don't get much practical experience I want to get more involved in practical areas to overall increase my knowledge of electronics.

I understand lasers are no toys or jokes and have done thorough research on laser safety and want to work on my first laser project. Can anyone one direct me in starter projects or source of information I could use? Thank you!

gazer101

Hi, I am new to LPF, I am currently a student studying Electrical Engineering and slowly looking into lasers. After some inspiration, I really want to get into lasers, as we don't get much practical experience I want to get more involved in practical areas to overall increase my knowledge of electronics.

I understand lasers are no toys or jokes and have done thorough research on laser safety and want to work on my first laser project. Can anyone one direct me in starter projects or source of information I could use? Thank you!
"and slowly looking into lasers"
Please don't actually look into them when they are on XD

Jokes aside the best place to start is getting a DVD burner laser and running it using an LM317 driver inside an altoids can or something. Simple, cheap, and it gives you some of the experience needed for when/if you decide to build your own high-powered laser