Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New to lasers:Help and advice is needed !!

jvall

Hi all, I am new to this site and am not totally sure how to use it. I got my hands on a burning laser diode from an old windows XP desktop computer and i have a few questions regarding laser diodes in general.Any and all Feedback is greatly apreciated.

1. Can a laser diode be operated without useing a driver,and instead use a circuit with a-
LM317 Voltage Regulator IC
1µF electrolytic capacitor
0.1µF ceramic capacitor
240Ω Resistor
300Ω Resistor?

2. Is a module used for housing the diode and focusing it?

3. Can modules from old lasers be used for a DVD Burning diode?

Hi, I'm going to try to break down your question and answer it:

1. Can a laser diode be operated without useing a driver,and instead use a circuit with a-
LM317 Voltage Regulator IC
1µF electrolytic capacitor
0.1µF ceramic capacitor
240Ω Resistor
300Ω Resistor?

What you are describing are actually components of a "driver". Driver is any current regulating circuit that powers the diode.

However it can be made much more easily:

Just follow this schematic and it's fine. However for this to work, you need to know how much current does your diode need. If you are not sure what diode do you have, start with some 200mA and report back results. Also, a picture of the diode can help.

2. Is a module used for housing the diode and focusing it?

Even more than that - a module is used to mechanically fix the diode in front of the lens, and to provide heatsinking, as well as a convenient way of installing the module in a flashlight host or other type of casing.

3. Can modules from old lasers be used for a DVD Burning diode?

Which "old lasers"?

You require a module that can accept a 5.6mm diode. You can find those modules on Aixiz.com, the original producer of such components as far as I know:

http://www.aixiz.com/store/product_...d/124/osCsid/bf6adcea2a8b2f2922176d03390674e6

This is a pack of 10, $2 each. Not sure if you can get them cheaper anywhere, but I could be wrong - anybody know some other sources for those?