Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NEW THINGS

Sniper

So I know that there are lighting matches and cutting tape and stuff like that but is that the only thing these high power lasers can do? For Example are these things even close to being able to burn hair or something? Because i have only seen videos or pictures of lighting macthes or popping balloones or cutting tape but why are people not trying to like burn hair or something idk.

IF anyone has tried something like this please post

P

Proctor

The Collimation isn't good enough to put a dot on a piece of hair. The dot is just too big.

I tried to light a candle today and it didn't work because the full dot didn't go on the wick.

S

SenKat

I have burned holes in anything black, or dark red - have a bag of cat treats out in the garage I pointed at, and smoke a hole clean through it FAST. I have inscribed dark plastic items - popped tons of balloons, even melted a red-hot candy with it ! Besides burning things, lots of different lighting effects can be done, too.

sniper, i used a blue laser to punch a .6 mm hole through a 6 carat vvs red diamond. then i inserted a small red diode into the hole and the diamond now glows like a star!

Sniper

How Strong is you blue lasers? I really liked the color blues it one of my favorites

i would IMAGINE that it must be mega watts in order to have created the scenario i described. do you know of any other lasers that could duplicate the event i described?

S

SenKat

randall158 said:
i would IMAGINE that it must be mega watts in order to have created the scenario i described. do you know of any other lasers that could duplicate the event i described?

Quit teasing him, man !  He's curious !!!  I personally would LOVE to see a 6 carat vvs red diamond... :cool:  For that matter, so would my wife !  ;D

Yeah - and .6 mm ? hehehehehe riiiiiiiiight !

ok, ok, so it was a small hole in a red balloon, i wouldn't normally cut holes in my small red diamonds.

randall158 said:
ok, ok, so it was a small hole in a red balloon, i wouldn't normally cut holes in my small red diamonds.

lol but if you put a diode in it would it really glow like a star?

S

SenKat

troyboy said:
[quote author=randall158 link=1169871172/0#7 date=1169877644]ok, ok, so it was a small hole in a red balloon, i wouldn't normally cut holes in my small red diamonds.

lol but if you put a diode in it would it really glow like a star?[/quote]

Good hyopthesis - BUT - if the beam terminated inside the diamond, it would shine back into the diode, and most likely burn it up - not too sure about the heat transfer issue, either - the diode may burn up from the built up heat first ! : ;D