Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New review: Super Bright Violet Laser (Wish.com offering)

Super Bright Violet Laser, retail $3.00

Manufactured by: (Unknown)
Last updated 09-03-21

br54-1.jpg

what.gif

The Super Bright Violet Laser (hereinafter, probably just called a violet diode laser) is a violet-emitting, directly-injected laser. That is, it produces violet laser radiation directly, without the need for messy, fragile nonlinear crystals like those 532nm green laser pointers and the amberish-yellow and 473nm blue ones as well. It uses two AAA cells -- the same power source used in most other "pen-style" laser pointers and portable lasers.

It is labelled to have an output of 5mW of laser radiation at 405nm; it has a spectrographcally measured wavelength of 405.7nm and a measured power output of 27mW.

It comes in a handsome brass body with a black finish and chrome colored bezel, tailcap, and pocket clip.

br54-2.jpg
SIZE

using.gif

To get the laser to turn on, first be certain that there are a pair of AAA cells installed. If there isn't, then install them (see directly below), and THEN you can go irradiate something.
wink.gif

Aim the laser well-away from your face first.
patch.gif
Press & hold down the button on the barrel for as long as you want or need the laser spot, and release pressure on the button to neutralise the laser.

change.gif

To change the batteries in this violet laser , unscrew the laser near the center, and set the upper portion aside.

Tip the two used AAA cells out of the barrel and into your hand, and dispose of, recycle, or recharge them as you see fit.

Insert two new AAA cells into the barrel, button-end (+) positive first. This is the opposite of how batteries are installed in most flashlights, so please pay attention to polarity here.

Screw the front portion of the tube back on, and be done with it.

Unable to measure current usage due to how the laser was constructed.

Does this evaluation look an awful lot like the one I made for this laser?
Thought you'd say so.
That's because they're functionally, electrically, and physically very similar, so I was able to use its web page as a template for this one.

br54-3.jpg

Beam photograph of this laser on a wall at ~12".
Beam image bloomed ***SIGNIFICANTLY***.
I deliberately photographed this in somewhat low daylight to help reduce image blooming!!!
However as you can plainly see, considerable image blooming did occur!!!

That white & blue color does not really exist; the spot appears to be a very deep royal purple to the eye.
Digital cameras have a tough time at these wavelengths.

And yes, I know that the colors purple and violet are two different critters, but the phrase "royal violet" would not make very much sense; however, most everybody knows what "royal purple" looks like.

Purple is a mixture of red & blue; violet is a spectral color, encompassing wavelengths of ~390nm to ~420nm.

br54-4.jpg

Beam photograph on a wall at ~10'.
Again, that white & blue color does not really exist.

Power output measures 27mW on a LaserBee AX laser power meter.

br54-w.gif

Spectrographic analysis of the Blu-ray laser diode in this product.
Wavelength appears to be ~405nm, which is within specification for the type of laser diode used in this laser.

br54-n.gif

Same as above; but spectrometer's response narrowed to a band between 400nm and 410nm.
This shows that the wavelength is 405.7nm -- right about where I eyeballed it prior to spectroscopy.

The raw spectrometer data (tab-delimited that can be loaded into Excel) is at br54.txt

USB2000 Spectrometer graciously donated by P.L.

A beam cross-sectional analysis would normally appear here, but the ProMetric System that I used for that test was destroyed by lightning in mid-July 2013.
shake.gif

TEST NOTES:
Test unit was purchased on Wish.com on 08-14-21 and as received on the early-afternoon of 09-02-21.

I had actually ordered a 450nm BLUE laser, but this is what I received.
However, for $3, I'm not going to raise a stink about it.

I have decided to rate this little laser three stars.
The only real reasons that it did not receive five stars is because the claimed power output and the measured power output vary so greatly (claimed at <5mW, measured at 27mW) -- a rather severe no-no and because it is mislabelled which is also another no-no -- actually that's a HELL NO!!!

UPDATE
00-00-00:

PROS:
Color is very radiant & unusual for a handheld laser
Uses inexpensive and readily available batteries
Color is very radiant an unu...o wait, I said that already!!!
rainbow.gif

CONS
Just the usual suspects for laser modules/pointers - nothing that affects rating...actually, there is one little thing: it is labelled as a 5mW laser, but outputs a measured 27mW of laser radiation.
That's what nocked most of the stars off.

MANUFACTURER: Unknown
PRODUCT TYPE: Violet-emitting diode laser
LAMP TYPE: Sony Blu-ray laser diode
No. OF LAMPS: 1
BEAM TYPE: Very narrow spot
SWITCH TYPE: Momentary on/off button on barrel
CASE MATERIAL: Brass
BEZEL: Metal; laser & lens recessed into a hosel for them in its end
BATTERY: 2x AAA cells
CURRENT CONSUMPTION: Unable to measure
WATER-RESISTANT: Light splatter-resistant at maximum
SUBMERSIBLE: NO!!!
ACCESSORIES: None
SIZE: 153.30mm L x 14.10mm Dia. (not incl. button or pocket clip)
WEIGHT: 36.60g (1.29oz) incl. batteries; 13.80g (0.48oz.) empty
COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: China
WARRANTY: Unknown/not stated

PRODUCT RATING:

st3.gif

Last edited: