Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New, premium brand, pointer not mode stable

Drew

I broke down and bought an expensive (relatively) green after figuring out that when my other greens dim, or form a little tail off the dot, they are actually changing modes. I want something reliable, stable, and with great divergence. The pointer I got doesn't mode hop persay, it just isn't tem00 all the time . It is either tem00 or tem01 (2 dots) depending on how it is feeling and about 50/50. Always at room temperature and never on >60 seconds with an advertised duty cycle of 90/20. When it wants to be in tem01, the mode starts in 00 changing to 01 within a half second and it stays there. The other half the time it stays in beautiful tem00 nicely. The laser has the photodiode, or automatic power control, so it is stable in brightness at ~5mW even when it changes modes. Its very well collimated. And it has great, low divergence. Basically you cant really tell anything is wrong with it unless you expand the beam or, in my case, point at a large angle and see the dot split(I pointed across a peice of paper with the laser almost flat). So I'm wondering if I'm being picky, or if I should try to exchange it immediately, or if I should hang onto it and see if it gets worse (6 month warranty). I paid $39 with a free shipping promo(6x "5mW" pointers from DX shipped costs $38.20).

Please tell me what you think:wave::thanks:

Last edited: