Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New O-like 120mw green pointer

sbdwag

Just received this greeny (OLGLP120A) from O-like today. Very nice will easely light matches, burn tape. burn dark paper and wood and of course burn the heak out of my wrist.

One problem I have noticed that anyone who buys this greeny should be aware of is that they are sensitive to heat. O-Like stated the operating temperature is from 20-30 C and Optotronics says for the same model 15-30 C. Well its about 35 C outside right now and My duty cycle is about 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off. If I go much longer that a minute I need about three minutes for it to cool off. When It gets warm to the palm of the hand the output will drop abruptly to less that half stated output. And after about three of four minutes will come back to original.

30 C is really not that warm out so just a heads up for all of you that have really hot summers. Im going to refridgerate it and see how much that affects it.

Regards
sbdwag

Last edited:

i received the same laser! but i returnet it for a replacemen!..yes...! the diode gets very hot quickly.. and in my laser the power decreases rapidly!!!very rapidly.... at about 30mw..

bho.. baybe i will get a bluray laser from susie instead to get a new and ok 120+ laser.

sbdwag

Thats Interesting. Sounds like we have the same problems.

Regards
sbdwag

D

Deleted member 8382

Thats Interesting. Sounds like we have the same problems.

Regards
sbdwag
What did you expect lol, 120mW of power means a lot of heat, nothing a pen style laser can dissipate...

Emc2

I have the +150mW from Optotronics and it also requires cold temps to preform at its best. They definately like the cold and work better when they are cold, like around 75º or less. I usually hold mine in front of the AC vent of the car or have the temp in the house at 74º and it works well at those temps. Just remember there is no heat sink on these and the IR diode is a 1 watt so it gets hot fast. when you see it getting dim it is time to get it cooled down.

-T

sbdwag

What did you expect lol, 120mW of power means a lot of heat, nothing a pen style laser can dissipate...

Thanks I just did'nt know if this was a problem or typical of these pen type pointers.

Once you learn the limitations of this pointer it becomes easier to use. You simple have to add a lot of off time with the on time. I guess this is why the switch is momentary.

Regards
Dennis Waggoner

D

Deleted member 8382

yep, that's what we call duty cycle. I guess susie have to add it :p

sbdwag

yep, that's what we call duty cycle. I guess susie have to add it :p

The Optotronics website states that the duty cycle of the pens is 100 seconds on 20 seconds off.

I timed this at 75 degrees last night and I could not use that duty cycle. One hundred seconds of on requires about 3 to 5 minutes of off time to cool down. For me its about 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off for continuious duty.

O-like does not state the duty cycle on their website.

Are these the same product or is Optotronics tweaking theres for better performance.

regards
sbdwag

D

Deleted member 8382

It depends so much on the temperature of the place you are in. Ofc in cold winter the duty cycle will be longer!

Yours,
Albert

ok i know the duty cycle is fast.. BUT...... mine 120+ laser... was hot within 30 seconds or less... and the power decrease like a 30 mw!!! it is not normal. it was maybe 120 for HALF SECOND initially.. then i think 60... but if you waited some seconds the beam was THE SAME of my 30mw kaleidoscopic laser from dx...and if you wait... also WORSE!!!! i think it is not ok!!! if a laser is checked to have a sunstained power.. it cant go so down in power tihin 30 seconds and be so much HOT... mine 30mw could be ON for 4 minutes and it only warm a little...!!!

HALLUCY.... if i search the best forum in google... lpf is not in the list XD of the first page ...!

The only green lasers (of higher power) I've seen that aren't affected by the summer heat are the Hercules by Laserglow but they are fan cooled so that's a different animal altogether...

I've seen the 120mW green modules in heavier hosts perform better, I have one in a KD-50 style host that heats up fairly quickly (under a minute if it's really hot out) but I also have one in a mini-RPL host that has a pretty big aluminum heatsink and that one has never gotten squirrely on me, even in a hot club (I use that one as a pointer to help align the scanner systems at our shows, sometimes if the guys are feeling like total boneheads I can be running it on and off - mostly on - for 20 minutes or more at a crack).

As a rule, the aluminum "new wish" style pens are the worst, followed by the brass "new wish" pens (like Opto's) with a slight edge going to the brass ones (from what I've found).

sbdwag

The only green lasers (of higher power) I've seen that aren't affected by the summer heat are the Hercules by Laserglow but they are fan cooled so that's a different animal altogether...

I've seen the 120mW green modules in heavier hosts perform better, I have one in a KD-50 style host that heats up fairly quickly (under a minute if it's really hot out) but I also have one in a mini-RPL host that has a pretty big aluminum heatsink and that one has never gotten squirrely on me, even in a hot club (I use that one as a pointer to help align the scanner systems at our shows, sometimes if the guys are feeling like total boneheads I can be running it on and off - mostly on - for 20 minutes or more at a crack).

As a rule, the aluminum "new wish" style pens are the worst, followed by the brass "new wish" pens (like Opto's) with a slight edge going to the brass ones (from what I've found).

Based on what your saying here would you agree that this perfectly normal behavior from this pen or should I request an exchange from olike
Regards
Sbdwag

Benm

Its fairly normal for these pen-sized pointers to suffer from thermal problems... doenst matter if that happens because its hot outside or because you run them over half a minute, or both.

Usable duty cycle goes down as ambient temperature goes up, but what people find acceptable in that department varies wildly.

Jaseth

One point to remember: If you cool the laser down in the fridge, it will very likely get condensation inside leading to shorting. You always want to watch out when bringing cool electronics into warm, humid air.

Based on what your saying here would you agree that this perfectly normal behavior from this pen or should I request an exchange from olike
Regards
Sbdwag

Aye Mr. C (fonz style) ..

I have a 120mw olike module that i run with a 3.6v 14500 it gets slightly warm after a minute or so but i dont "see" the drop in power..

but im sure a LPM would say different..

sbdwag

Cold weather greeny

Well I put mine in the fridge for about five minutes and It had the longest brightest beam Ive yet to see out of it. If I keep this looks like its going to be my cold weather laser

So that gives me a reason to get my hot weather greeny. Now what to get.

Regards
sbdwag