Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New member from Spain

Asaber

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a laser pointer to do experiments. I see very interesting things in this forum. I like it.
Can you recommend a laser pointer (wavelength, power) that is capable of burning plastic, paper or cardboard easily and a reliable place to buy it?

Sorry for my english.

Hi Welcome to LPF here is a great place to start , with info everywhere and very nice folks.
Rich:)

Can you recommend a laser pointer (wavelength, power) that is capable of burning plastic, paper or cardboard easily and a reliable place to buy it?

Welcome to the LPF, Asaber! There are many nice and knowledgeable people here who’ll be happy to listen and to help you whenever possible. You should also use the Search button to access our extensive database with information about all things laser. Our chief concern is safety, so be sure to always protect yourself and others by using proper vision protection, and never pointing a laser at any living thing. Lasers are wonderful and fascinating devices, but also dangerous! Please enjoy your stay here, and always remember to be laser safe. Thanks and Please Take Care.

-cd :D

Welcome to the LPF. Any 2 watt laser should fulfill your requirements. You might have a look at Laser Pointer Store as they have a bit better pricing for 445nm lasers in this power range. Sanwu and Jet Lasers are also very good companies to buy from, but may be a bit more expensive. If you could build your own, you could have a 2+ watt 445nm laser for ~$78.00, but you would need some special tools. Do not forget to buy safety goggles for the wavelength you will be using as lasers are very dangerous to your vision and an accident can happen to anyone.

Hello,

I'm interested in buying a laser pointer to do experiments. I see very interesting things in this forum. I like it.

Sorry for my english.

Hola, Que Tal

By the way, don't feel bad about your English, I know some Spanish, BUT I'm very poor at speaking it and even worse at writing it.

First: Get Eagle Brand Safety Glasses these offer the best protection for your eyes. Avoid the cheap Chinese glasses.

Option #1: Start simple. A #301 405nm 100mW laser from the Laser Pointer Store is very inexpensive. Add to that the 18650 battery with charger and the cost is minimal. ($13.99 in USA dollors) It's not very powerful, but just enough to light a paper match, pop a balloon, and just start to burn wood. I have this laser and it's a lot of fun to play with. Please be careful, 405nm is at the limit of human vision. The light won't look very bright, but it really is very bright, we just can't see it very well.

301 Laser, Laser Pointer Store

Option #2: The 1000mW (1W) #808 Blue Laser: With batteries this come to $55 US dollars or $60 if you add the 5 Star Caps. I have not purchased this one yet, but I am likely to get one in January of next year. This offers a lot of power for the money.

808 Laser, Laser Pointer Store

You can read the user guides here:

Laser Pointer Store, Manuals

I got the Thor H 2 from Laser Pointer Store to review along with diachi over a year ago. It runs off two 26650 batteries and has two power settings. 1.6 watts and ~650 mW. I got mine for just the cost of shipping it, but it is a pretty nice laser and they are selling them now for $89.00. They were $159.00 for a long time, but since I have reviewed it as well as diachi, who also did a review, you can look at those reviews if you are interested in one of these.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Asaber. :)
Enjoy your stay! (y)
Don't worry about your English, it is good based on that post.