Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New laser zaps mosquitoes out of the air

Encap

Maybe you can get part time job and generate some supplemental income as a mosquitoe exterminator/terminator, you could get a comfortable swivel stool for 360 degree aiming capability like a turret on a tank.
Start a business, call it Mosquitoe Busters.

Adapt the song from the movie GhostBusters.
If there's some strange bug in you neighborhood

Who ya gonna call (mosquitoebusters)

If there's something weird

And it don't look good

Who ya gonna call? (mosquitoebusters):crackup:​

Last edited:

Rivem

I'd heard of this but never saw the video. Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. Hopefully the tech can distinguish between different flying insects or at least size. I guess only operating at night could protect most beneficial insects though. Probably a little dangerous depending upon it's field of view.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
This just reminds me of the multiple bug zapping ideas we've had on here. Safety is paramount with something like this.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looks like a fun project, but besides the obvious safety concerns, I can't see any meaningful amounts of mosquito eradication happening here.
Thanks for sharing the videos, Accutronitis, they're fun to watch; the second video reminds me of fighter planes being shot and going down in smoke and flames! :eek:

Oh look, thread 101 on this same exact thing.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/mosquito-eradication-laser-48131.html
There is the earliest thread I could find on this in my 2 minutes of searching while on my phone.
Now to open a thousand threads on "do I REALLY need safety glasses" and OMG can I get an eye safe laser that can light a match from 100 miles away. Oh and I'd like it to be orange as well.

Yeah, it's an entertaining couple of videos, but for practical applications, probably not even going to happen. Fortunately the infected female Anopheles mosquitoes are not found in the USA. They transmit a parasite known as Plasmodium which infects red blood cells and then burst out causing the paroxysmal fevers. This is just not going to work in endemic areas where malaria is found. What is it about doing things with lasers that gives this wow factor even if there are better ways of containing the disease?

Last edited:
Oh look, thread 101 on this same exact thing.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/mosquito-eradication-laser-48131.html
There is the earliest thread I could find on this in my 2 minutes of searching while on my phone.
Now to open a thousand threads on "do I REALLY need safety glasses" and OMG can I get an eye safe laser that can light a match from 100 miles away. Oh and I'd like it to be orange as well.

Yeah... I'm with you on that...:beer:
Old news from 02-12-2010, 01:45 AM.
A search is always a good idea before posting
something similar.

Jerry

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS