Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New High Power Diodes and Increased Beam Divergence

Regarding high power 445nm diodes where the beam divergence increases/worsens as the power increases:

Question: Does the divergence get significantly worse above a certain wattage such as, above 3W or above 5W?

Or does the divergence get worse (in general) in a even, linear way? For example, the divergence for a 4W diode is twice that for a 2W diode if both are running at full power?

I've been gone from LPF for a while so if anyone has a link to a thread which already answers this question, please link here.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

You posted NEW high power diodes I got excited, I'm ready for some new lasers.

The divergence of the 130/140 and 7875 is the same, you get a 3/8 wide bar at 15 feet with a 3 element, 7a75 is 5/8 basically double and nubm44 is 7/8+ basically triple.

So yes the 1-3w are call it divergence level (1) the 4-5w are (2) and the 7-8w are (3) thus far, but things could change, maybe when we get some NEW LD's lol

Last edited:

Gazen

I think that RedCowboy answered your question already, but welcome back. We have some new cyan diodes and recently some cheap dpss yellows.

Using a 3 element lens causes you to lose up to 30% of the power, though. Much of it is lost against the inside of the module. But, if you use an aspheric lens with a short focal length, your lines will be longer. You get to keep the power, but you'll need to use other corrective optics to tame the worse divergence. There's no free ride.