Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Guy, Hello!

S2005

Hi everyone.

New to the forum, and new to lasers.

I've been lurking the forum, and reading a lot in the last couple days.

I was introduced to a guy, via a mutual friend, and he had a really really cool Star Trek phaser with a bluray laser in it.

It got me interested, and I came searching for info.

A little backstory. I grew up with an optometrist for a father. He knew/knows the risks of lasers, and I was never allowed to have one. Not even the cheap $1 ones they hang up in the checkout lines.

I've always been fascinated by lasers. I remember in 7th grade... about 17 years ago for me... we had a "Technology" class we could take as an elective.

I chose that over Home Economics... They had all sorts of neat stuff. We learned about engineering, computers, and lasers (Among other things).

They had this huge laser "emitter" and a few prisms and mirrors you could make a laser maze with. It was a lot of fun.

I started reading this forum and immediately went to the "worst case scenario" section. I want to be safe as possible. I read some horror stories for sure.

I want something that is good for beginners. Something that isn't TOO powerful for a rookie, but not so weak that I'll get bored of it quickly...

I'm thinking about putting something together in a Star Wars blaster toy... I have an old broken PS3, and I could probably salvage the BluRay out of that...

I'd great appreciate some links to guides, and good places for rookies to start!

I've already found a ton of safety stuff, and that is my primary concern. I'm for sure going to get some "goggles".

Thanks in advance for any info! I plan on continuing to lurk for a week or two or until I feel like I've gathered enough info to feel confident in starting my first project.

Welcome to the forums!

It's good you understand the dangers of lasers & the need to use safety around them, congrats :yh:

-Alex

Welcome Aboard! Whats your location. I have a couple 532 nm pens overspecs if you are interested. Just send a pm

S2005

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm in South Alabama, right near the coast.

Hi S2005, :wave:
Fantastic intro you posted. Great to see that you already looked over some safety threads.
Do poke around and see all the great stuff in the world of lasers. Be sure to use the white search bar at the bottom of the page as there is a wealth of information to see here. Enjoy, have fun and most importantly be safe.

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are off to a good start. Check out the stickies, wealth of information here for sure.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm in South Alabama, right near the coast.

That's very cool! I live in Semmes, we have another member in the Mobile area, and two up around Birmingham. I am far from an expert, I'm new to the hobby myself, but if you ever need anything don't hesitate to hit me up.