Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

New from B. E. Myers: The Ocular Interrupter System

steve001

Marines will soon have a Star Trek phaser-like new green laser that can reach out and “warn or visually suppress” opponents without firing a round.
The Ocular Interrupter System is essentially a green light with a combined laser range finder that gauges shooter-to-target distance then adjusts the light to deter, but not blind, personnel, said Ryan Smith, team leader for force protection programs at Marine Corps Systems Command.
https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/ne...aser-like-device-for-nonlethal-weapon-option/

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nothing like reaching out and letting someone know that they could've been dead, but hey, I'm a nice guy, ....now get out of here before I change my mind! :whistle:

Thanks for the link, Steve. :yh:

Encap

Looks like they are replacing what they have had ---from article "The system replaces two separate systems, the “MiniGreen” Glare Mout 532P-M and the LA-9/P Green Beam Dazzling Laser, devices in use for more than seven years, Smith said"

The Glare systems have been around for quite a while now---the Glare Recoil the Marines bought is 250mW 532nm w. laser range finding in the systems’ safety controls.

You can see all 4 B.E. Meyers systems here: Green Beam | Non-Lethal Lasers | B.E. Meyers & Co., Inc.

Here is a Sept. 2016 about the Glare Recoil system

Last edited:

paul1598419

As we all know it is a war crime to blind someone in battle, or in any situation in a conflict. I have seen these things being used, then redesigned and used again. I wonder how these devices are prevented from actually doing harm to a combatant's eyes even if it is defective. I don't see these as a way to not kill a combatant, but a way to more easily kill one once flash blinded.