Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New Batteries: Necessary ?

Hi guys,

This month I bought a 50mW green laser from DX. It isn't as good as a CNI one, but it's much better than the normal cheap ones. It comes with a regular rechargeable UltraFire 18650 battery.
Now I'm going to buy a charger from DX. Do you think I should buy more/ better batteries ?
Are there any good 18650 from DX ?
Are protected batteries good ?
I know you usually recommend the ones from LarryDFW, but this time I need them to be from DX.

Thank you guys =)

i have never used the 18650's but i spend a lot of time here and they seem to be a favorite of the forum... also anytime you can buy a protected battery the better.

michael

The only problem with protected batteries. Is that they are usually 2-3mm longer, because of the protection circuit.
I have several flashlights and lasers where they just wont fit.

Nice post count... :D

And the protected batteries are thicker round the outside dia as well.

Nice post count... :D

Not anymore =(

@topic

Well, I think protected batteries won't fit completely, but I'll be able to thread till half way...
The question is: is it worth ?

And my main question remains unsolved: Do you think I should just use the included one or buy another one ? (From DX)

And, of course, thank you for your answers !

Well, if you watch the batteries and can "guesstimate" when they will fall below the lowest allowable voltage then no, they are not necessary. If you don't want to have to think or worry about it then yes, they would be helpful.

If you want the tailcap all the way on and you have a multimeter just check the voltage after some heavy use. If the voltage drops too low just charge them.

Some laser drivers (I think) have a shutoff point where the laser will just turn off when the voltage gets to a dangerously low point. I don't know if your laser is one that does or not though.

Protected batteries will draw a very slight current when they are just sitting. If you have a lot of protected batteries just be sure to top them off every now and then so they don't fall too low.