Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New 520nm 500mw Build

Nice! Is that using the factory g-ball lens? If so, how is the divergence?

Yeah, I haven't modded the diode in any way shape or form, other than pressing it into the heatsink using very nice thermal compound.

The divergence isn't great, but I purposefully focused the beam to produce a fatter beam than typical. Properly focused, the dot @ 20ft actually isn't too bad. In this installation it's quite a large dot at 20ft, though.

Nicely done, and what a nice bargain for the amount of output you're getting. Thanks for sharing!!

Hey...Very nice. :D

I have scored a few for under 50 each as well, I have a brand new nugm03 sitting here right now and I am thinking if I can get a few more I might do a 6 beam portable and signal the :alien: :alien: :alien:

That was a good price. Looks like you could do with a better solder station, but if everything works, it doesn't matter. I have heard that these green diodes do okay when the ball lens is removed. If that is the case, I would want to decan the diode and add my own lens to the build. Thanks for sharing your new laser.

My "soldering station" is literally a stainless steel tiled outdoor bar, on a balcony, 22 floors above the city streets of Toronto. I would kill for a more pristine workstation. I downsized from a massive metal and wood workshop (forced dust collection etc.) to a city condo and it hurts.

I may look into changing or removing the ball lens, and re-can. But I have a 473nm diode coming in next, so that's the next priority.

Cheers!

I have been metering a ndg7475 and a nugm01 that I bought months ago and I am running it ( nugm01 ) de-canned @ 1.8a via a super X drive and 2 x 26650 cells, so far it's still doing 800mw months later, the same output as when I 1st de-canned it. The ndg7475 is also holding up just fine, I test both each time so I know my meter is reading accurately.

I power it on most days sometimes a lot, it seems like it is holding up de-canned very well so far, much better than the de-canned nubm08 I wore down to half brightness after only 6 weeks of heavy daily use, maybe it's because of the lower power that it appears to be undamaged ?

Last edited:
Which 473nm diode do you have coming? We had Sharp diodes that came out around a year ago, but they were just a small supply of diodes that failed to reach 488nm. I have one in a build that measures 477nm. It is a unique light blue color. Not nearly as light as my 488nm diode, but still very blue.

I mounted my new nugm03 and the factory intact GBall is focused almost perfect....almost, it's actually useable although I might pull it although it is an efficient longer FL lens.

I am getting 1200mw @ 2.0a and 1250mw @ 2.1a and that was holding steady in my heavy test heat sink pressed into a 12mm copper module, it would likely take more but 1250 @ 2.1a is not bad for holding steady. :)

I would be curious to know how long it lasts if you decide to remove the ball lens and use one of the standard lenses we use. I am not that interested in a diode that can't be focused; or needs two extra lenses to do so. If it can survive decanned I would look for one to bid on.