Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Negative divergence... cant be this simple...

Ashton

How does one go about setting up a lens for negative divergence? The reasoning in my head says you just need a convex lens mounted at the right distance from the LD... I know it cant possibly be this simple though...

Just put your collimater lens closer to LD than the lens Focal point.
That makes beam waist converge to a point.

If you can find a longer focal lenth Collimater lens the beam waist will be bigger but spead less over distance. KEYWORD: miliradians.

If your laser is spec. .8 milliradians beam spot at 1000 meters is .8 meter diameter. (.0008 X 1000 = )

Hope I didn't write that backwards. ;D ;D

Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]

Negative divergence? What do you mean by that one? You mean getting the beam to converge to a focus? If you have a collimated beam, you just move the lens a little further from the source, and it will bring it to a focus.

Ashton

wow it really is as simple as I thought...... so what was so special about WL's pulsar having a negative divergence then? I thought it must have took osme huge engineering marvel to create it or soemthing... what's the big deal?

Ashton said:
wow it really is as simple as I thought...... so what was so special about WL's pulsar having a negative divergence then? I thought it must have took osme huge engineering marvel to create it or soemthing... what's the big deal?

Sounds like another WL ploy on the unsuspecting buying public

Ashton

well, yes and no, this one I cant fault them on, because it really IS unusual, however they blew it WAY out of proportion...