Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need some help with first time information about building a laser

Hey all, new here, you guys may have seen me post a few nooby questions before. This is my first laser that i am going to attempt to put together, hoping I can get some help to do it properly. I recently bought a module from https://www.lasercomponents.com.au/...er-modules/50mw-532nm-green-laser-module.html . Its a 50mW 532nm Green Laser Module. I was wondering a few things.
1. Where can i purchase safety glasses in australia that would protect me from 532nm wavelength, if that is the correct term. If i ship from overseas i either pay alot for shipping or get them from china and wait 40 days. So is there a store such as spec savers i can go into and buy them.
2. When i get the module, what do i do with it? I know its a really nooby question, but im a noob. From what the seller said, I just connect it to batteries, and there you go. Is that all that is needed? It also seemed quite cheap, compared to lasers online which are more expensive than that but are only 1mw.
3. Is there a way i can put in a button or switch or something to make it turn off and on.
P.S You guys are all the best:thanks:
4. I keep reading that 532nm releases IR. Why is this? And how do i stop it harming me, and if people are around me?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

It states that the module is 13mm in diameter. Unless you plan on machining and modifying custom parts I would suggest purchasing more standardized hardware.

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/pl520-520nm-laser-diode
and
Survival Laser S4? Host Assembly
Would go together without issue. Im assuming you can solder 2 wires to a contact board.
Also another option is
https://www.sanwulasers.com/product/304green
I bought the 80mw one and its great. They make a beam expander for it as well.

Last edited:
2. When i get the module, what do i do with it? I know its a really nooby question, but im a noob. From what the seller said, I just connect it to batteries, and there you go. Is that all that is needed? It also seemed quite cheap, compared to lasers online which are more expensive than that but are only 1mw.
3. Is there a way i can put in a button or switch or something to make it turn off and on.
P.S You guys are all the best:thanks:

My first build was cheap and nasty Billy, I just wanted to get my green 532nm up'n'running.
So I got a piece of conduit & joiner from Bunnings, a AA battery holder with switch from Jaycar, some zip ties and "Bob's your Grandma".
As I said, cheap and nasty but it works.

First-build-Laser.jpg

RB

:beer:

Yeah haha thats exactly what ill be doing. Where would you recommend getting the safety glasses, are they at bunnings? Thanks for all your help

Yeah haha thats exactly what ill be doing. Where would you recommend getting the safety glasses, are they at bunnings? Thanks for all your help

It's funny you should ask that, actually when I first got into lasers I did buy my first pair from Bunnings but they soon stopped selling them once lasers where banned.
They weren't the best anyway.

I buy all my safety glasses now from Survival Laser, "Eagle Pair".
Don't skimp on glasses, get a good pair from Survival, the safety of your eyesight is paramount.

Link click here >> Safety Goggles

If you have a lot of IR leakage from your green laser then get these:
Link >>> Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles

Else if it's only minimal leakage then you can get these:
Link >>> Eagle Pair® 190-540nm OD6 Slip Over Laser Safety Goggles

:)

diachi

How do i tell if my laser has alot of IR leakage?

Don't think anyone answered why 532nm lasers sometimes leak IR.

532nm lasers use an 808nm IR laser diode to "pump" a set of special crystals. The first crystal turns the 808nm light from the pump diode into 1064nm light - the second crystal doubles the frequency (halves the wavelength) of the 1064nm light so that you get 532nm light. That's a short, simple explanation...

This is what the cheaper 532nm pointers we use look like inside:

glpmca1.gif

Colour is off in this diagram ... that orange beam coming from the pump diode should be red as per the key at the bottom.

A cheap webcam or phone camera with no IR filter should be able to see any IR - although you need to filter out the green portion first. Pretty sure you can use Coca Cola to do that actually... But that doesn't tell you how much IR there is which is important.

The danger is overstated most of the time anyway... Get the glasses that are good for 532nm + IR and you'll be fine. If you're just wanting to point at the sky and see the beam it's not an issue anyway - and the glasses will do you no good there as you won't be able to see the beam.

Last edited: