Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need recommendation for Green lazer <$200

Default Need recommendation for Green lazer <$200
Guys, my lovely astra laser have been donated to a visiting relative last weekend. I need to get another pen laser.

Could someone help recommend the following.

Laser #1.
Pen style / safe / < $200 / Maximum reall mW/$

Laser #2
Just need the guts of a AAA pen lazer
30-60mW / decent IR filter.

Thanx for the help,
Jonathan

S

SenKat

Okay- just the guts ? Look at www.Dealextreme.com - get a 50mw laser, and strip it ! As far as safe for hte other laser...what do you mean safe ? Safety features ? like aperature civer, keyed lock, timed emission delay, safety interlock dongle, and indicator LED ?

Thanx SenKat for the response.

DX 50mW looks pretty good.

What I mean by safe is the IR filter. I care less for keyed lock/intlk/emission delay ... etc. since I'm making my own housing for it.

What the "thinnest profile" driver for these pen laser core? They all seems to have a rectangular PCB laid out sideway. If we can make a round PCB 11mm OD (maybe dual layer if necessary) , we might be able to pack a 100mW laser for the size of a AA battery.

Basically I'm challenging myself & some others to make a "portable" pocketable >50mW @ the size of a AA. I think it's doable.

Well the insides of any power laser will be about the same size. Try www.novalasers.com if you want a cheap unit for the guts, and they are IR filtered too.

Do you mean
Professional Series Silver Laser Pointer

BTW: Admin. I can't post link? using "[ url ] [ img ]" tags

You can't post links until you have 20 posts, but the guts I was refering to were the Novalasers X-series cause they have cheap lasers with outputs between 30 and 60mW.

S

SenKat

Well, The problem you will run into with your design issues are power, and the module assy. The greenies are almost all basically the same size for pen lasers, externally anyways. The MCA varies greatly with manufacturer, and the overall size will not be able to be decreased due to that. The PCB is TINY compared to the rest of it ! I already am making reds almost the size of AA batteries - and they work well, but the PCB is already made, and is in the flashlight host I use. Now, they DO make keychain green lasers - but those use button cells for power.

SenKat:
Power is not a problem, trust me.
Designing the "enclosure" is not a problem either.
I can not control the MCA size. So the smaller the better.
From my previous laser experience the PCB is ~ 1.5-2cm long which is ALOT of wasted space. If we can reduce this down to < 5mm it's much better.

I should have phrase my requirement for #2 better.
How about this.
1. shortest MCA length.
2. reasonable value guts for > 50mW
3. smallest PCB possible.

styropyro: Ah IC X-Series for my #1 laser recommendation. Got it!
Pen style / safe / < $200 / Maximum reall mW/$