Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Reccomendation For 1st build: 250mW 405nm or 300mW

Hi, I'm new here and don;t know a whole lot about lasers so I'd like to ask a few questions and need direction on my diode selection. Sorry about if they are newbie questions or I seem ignorant... everyone's gotta start somewhere. It's just that 4th of July is coming up and I'd like to build a pocket/pointer sized laser that can burn things (matches, paper, light fuses, etc...) so I can have a little more fun lighting firecrackers from a little distance. I'm basically looking to make a cheap but powerful laser - a nice balance of power and affordability. Max budget is ~$150. Yes, I plan on getting some kind of eye protection.

Using an ebay store I've located the following items and it seems like I can build a pointer that can burn for around $100.
However I do not know which diode would burn better... a 250mW CW 405nm diode or a 300mW CW 650nm diode?
Is it all about power or does the frequency play into it too? Plus blue/violet lasers are just sweet looking!

Here is the list of items I'm getting... Do I need anything else to make a pen/pocket style laser pointer?
~ 650 or 405 nm diode
~ RKCSTR constant-current Micro-Driver
~ Aixiz 12x30mm Glass Lens
~ Aixiz 12x30mm module case

Last edited:

TTerbo

just buy the already assembled 405nm (bluray) laser in module with rkcstr driver from hightechdealz.com then if u want more drivers rkcstr.com

Why would I want more drivers?
I mean, I only want to light matches, firecrakers, and generally have fun.
Are more drivers necessary to do this?

I've been reading this site and learning alot.
In fact, the more |I read and learn... the more that $200 Spyder III Pro Arctic looks like a phenomenal deal.

Thank you for the reply too!

TTerbo

um so are you only gunna make laser?? so this is just a "Quick tell me how to make a laser so i can amuse my local law enforcement? i would say get the hightechdealz.com build and put it in a host. yu can find a host in my sig.
and i was just telling you that if you wanted to build another laser where u could get spare drivers

um so are you only gunna make laser?? so this is just a "Quick tell me how to make a laser so i can amuse my local law enforcement? i would say get the hightechdealz.com build and put it in a host. yu can find a host in my sig.
and i was just telling you that if you wanted to build another laser where u could get spare drivers

Minus the law enforcement parts... yes, this is solely just a little project for fun. I don't have any mischievous deeds in mind... I've always just wanted a green or blue laser pointer and when I saw that people build them WAY more powerful than the typical 5mW I figured, why not?? Plus, I don't want to rush through this... I either want to select a good laser or build a good looking quality laser. :yh:

Thanks for the insight and links!

PLEASE buy adequate eye protection BEFORE you buy ANY LASER. You only have two precious eyes.

Pheonix, and crowd...
Thanks for the replies but I just ended up getting that 1W Spyder Arctic Pro 445nm Beast from WL.
Supposedly it comes with some eye protection. I will treat that protection as very minimal until I can get some good wavelength specific glasses.
The price was just too good. C'mon... 1W for ~$200?!? I'm a damn newb and I know I can;t pass that up.
I'll save up a little and make a small handheld (~120mW-200mw) some time later this year.

Well, I ordered this morning (late last night)... so I got hit with the ~$25 shipping charge.
Plus I opted for the $20 warranty - it's a relatively new unknown product/diode and the warranty seemed logical.
So my laser ran about $250. Still a HELLUVA deal, imo.

Guys, when my goggles come in I'll take them to work and run them trough a Lambda 950 and measure the near IR>UV transmittance & absorptivity. Then we can get a rough idea of what these "mystery" safety goggles do.