Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need Insight Here Please

I think so, but wanted to get more clarification from the more experienced members like IE.

Glenn

GAtkins, I'm at a loss as to what you are referring to here - Is it indeed taboo to look at the dot of a 1.5 watt laser indoors without glasses???

@IE, just want to clarify something here.

Did you mean to say that one could look at the dot of a 1.5W 445nm on an indoor or any other surface without goggles?

Just checking my friend....

Glenn

As joeyss already posted, it depends on the surface you're shining the laser on, and the distance you are away from it.

The danger lies with highly reflective surfaces such as mirrors, anything chrome, glass or polished.

So unless you happen to live in a mirror fun house...

What I really meant though is to immobilize the laser, and use a beamdump.

Still, on most surfaces, such as say off white, matte paint around the house, the reflection off of even a 1W laser is not enough to cause damage at over a foot or two.

Problem is most people who get into lasers on here, don't start with 5mW laser, but rather class 4 hand cannons, so they don't have a good sense in what can be reflective or not. Hence the dogmatic ALWAYS GET GOGGLES approach.

That's what I thought and thanks for the clarification.

I wanted to make sure that you can't just willy nilly look at any beam/dot you want on any surface you want. Lots of danger for inexperienced folks including myself.

Thanks again.

Glenn

As joeyss already posted, it depends on the surface you're shining the laser on, and the distance you are away from it.

The danger lies with highly reflective surfaces such as mirrors, anything chrome, glass or polished.

So unless you happen to live in a mirror fun house...

What I really meant though is to immobilize the laser, and use a beamdump.

Still, on most surfaces, such as say off white, matte paint around the house, the reflection off of even a 1W laser is not enough to cause damage at over a foot or two.

Problem is most people who get into lasers on here, don't start with 5mW laser, but rather class 4 hand cannons, so they don't have a good sense in what can be reflective or not. Hence the dogmatic ALWAYS GET GOGGLES approach.

Obviously, the dangers here are unequivocally unforgiving...... On relatively matte materials, what is considered a safe distance to be protected from potential reflection injury? And, how problematic is it to look at the beam in mid air without protective eyewear? Or, do you absolutely also need to keep a specific distance away from the beam as well? once again, Thank You Very Much for all of your ongoing contributions here. I am looking forward to your replies.

Do you nonetheless need to stay a particular distance away from the beam, even in mid-air? In other words, is there any dangers from inherently emitted particles emanating from the beam?

Personally I find it unpleasant to look at a dot of a 1W+ laser at close than 5 feet on a matte surface. Stick to being at least 5 feet away, when the do is on a black matte surface.

There are no issues with viewing the beam... it's when the beam or a reflection of it intersects with your pupil that you get in serious trouble.

Obviously, the dangers here are unequivocally unforgiving...... On relatively matte materials, what is considered a safe distance to be protected from potential reflection injury? And, how problematic is it to look at the beam in mid air without protective eyewear? Or, do you absolutely also need to keep a specific distance away from the beam as well? once again, Thank You Very Much for all of your ongoing contributions here. I am looking forward to your replies.

Do you nonetheless need to stay a particular distance away from the beam, even in mid-air? In other words, is there any dangers from inherently emitted particles emanating from the beam?

Okay, this all sounds good, and, obviously makes good sense :) I'm just wondering if I should still go with the Survival Laser's pair of safety googles even though you've confirmed that (despite the CE label) they're not certified; Can I be confident that they will noentheless work in protecting me?