Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

need help wth optics for a cool greenie

SMIDSY

Ok I have been inspired by another user who is making a brass sparta!!! laser (here http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1211214201/132)

What i want to do Is put a green laser module inside of a brass telescope so that when closed it is is 'burnign' mode and when open it is in beam and pointing mode... (or vice versa)

I'm not familiar with the optics of the telescope but i wanted opinions and help and pointers (no pun).

like this sort of thing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/A-Small-Pocke...oryZ3636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

is this possible even when open?

and Id like to put an official 'id like credit for this idea' here :p

I think this project would be very unique and cool, but I'm guessing it is going to be a lot of work. There are so many variables with lenses and focal lengths etc etc that I think it will definitely be more work than it seems.

Good luck though! Post up the progress if you decide to do it.

SMIDSY

GooeyGus said:
I think this project would be very unique and cool, but I'm guessing it is going to be a lot of work. There are so many variables with lenses and focal lengths etc etc that I think it will definitely be more work than it seems.

Good luck though! Post up the progress if you decide to do it.

:) I want to know if its theoretically possible first lol

Of course. Any time you change the distance of the lens from the point of light the focus will change. Its just about finding the stopping point for infinite focus and burning focus. And I have a feeling that you will not be able to use the included lenses to collimate.

SMIDSY

Ok i just ran a simulation with that optics simulator.

If I am to keep the stock lenses then it is possible but I have to unfocus the greenie...

as there are 2 convex (I assume) lenses in the telescope no matter what the distance it is possible to get a parralel beam and a burning beam with the laser unfocused...

ill need some green protective goggles unfortunately for allignment....

the beam wont be a problem but some of the light may not reach the second lense so the burning potential is questionable....