Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with building a burning laser

Hey guys

I an trying to build myself a burning laser.. I currently have a diode from a DVD player/burner that shines red when connected to a power source.

Now for the problem.. I need an aixiz laser module but don't know which one to choose.. The one I'm thinking about buying on eBay is a 12x30mm 650nm, but I don't know if my diode will match it.. How do I find how much 'nm' my diode is? Also, if the module has more 'nm' than the LD will it still burn?

PLEASE HELP BECAUSE I'M A COMPLETE BEGINNER!

Thanks

Binary

WELCOME,

1) Get some eye protection in the form of laser goggles for a laser in the 660nm range (links can be found here on the forum for quality goggles), If the diode is meant to burn CDs then it could obviously burn your eyes.

2)Google "light" and investigate the term wavelength before going any further. 'nm' = nanometer, or one billionth of a meter. The measurements of your module are it's dimensions in mm (1/1000th of a meter) and are unrelated to the wavelength and power that your diode puts out, the module merely holds to diode in place and allows for the easy use of standard lenses. Different sizes of diodes fit into different modules.

Do a lot more reading on here before asking questions or you could find some of the folks around here to be less than helpful. Anyways, good luck!

Last edited: