Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help with a puzzle

lazer

Here are the directions: Five of the words are associated for some reason. Find the words and then work out whether Widow belongs to the group.

Here are the words:

stage
tutor
comic
sauna
bread
dread
yucca
arena
kiosk

daguin

Five of the words have something in common with "widow." They have two syllables

<Bonus answers below>

Seven of the words have something else in common with "widow." They have a repeated letter in them

Four of the words have a different thing in common with "widow." They begin and end with the same letter

Peace,
dave

Five of the words have something in common with "widow." They have two syllables

<Bonus answers below>

Seven of the words have something else in common with "widow." They have a repeated letter in them

Four of the words have a different thing in common with "widow." They begin and end with the same letter

Peace,
dave
Dave: The wisest of all! :D

daguin

I'm astonished. how did you find that out?

Words are my life ;)

Plus, many of these types of "puzzles" are really testing your ability to see "patterns" or be able to identify the dissonant component(s).

I paid for a GRE preparation course many years ago. Almost all of the content in that course was how to figure out what the question was trying to "test." Most people get so hung up in trying to figure out the "answer" that they miss the simple reality that is in their face. (Like, for example, the fact that all the numbers in a given group are prime numbers .)

Lastly, there are many inexpensive, paperback books that contain "lateral thought" type "puzzles." My soon to be ex-wife had a great time for a few years trying to stump me.

When taking "thinking" type tests (like the SAT, GRE, LSAT, MSAT, etc.) ALWAYS look for any patterns before trying to "solve" the puzzle.

Peace,
dave

Oh yeah -- that -- and I am freaking brilliant LOL!

Words are my life ;)

Plus, many of these types of "puzzles" are really testing your ability to see "patterns" or be able to identify the dissonant component(s).

I paid for a GRE preparation course many years ago. Almost all of the content in that course was how to figure out what the question was trying to "test." Most people get so hung up in trying to figure out the "answer" that they miss the simple reality that is in their face. (Like, for example, the fact that all the numbers in a given group are prime numbers .)

Lastly, there are many inexpensive, paperback books that contain "lateral thought" type "puzzles." My soon to be ex-wife had a great time for a few years trying to stump me.

When taking "thinking" type tests (like the SAT, GRE, LSAT, MSAT, etc.) ALWAYS look for any patterns before trying to "solve" the puzzle.

Peace,
dave

Oh yeah -- that -- and I am freaking brilliant LOL!

Adrián Paenza is a brilliant argentinean mathematician, he wrote some books about cool math stuff (and I really mean cool). One of them has a full section devoted to lateral thought.
I wish I could get them translated to Spanish. They're called "Matemática... ¿Estás ahí?"