Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need help compiling list of current useful resources.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Hi everyone,
As some of you may be aware, I am currently constructing a website atm.
But I was wondering if anyone could share any resources they have found particularly useful for assisting with the hobby.
It can be of many formats, but it has to be able to be linked to and be able to be viewed online.
Some examples would be:
  • Forum threads
  • Websites/blogs (inc Google Scholar)
  • Tools (Online/Javascript)
  • YouTube videos/channels
  • PDF's/Microsoft docs (Excel,Word,Powerpoint etc)
I haven't spent much time gathering resources yet as I have been focusing more on the wavelength guide, but here is what I have already available.
Hobbyist Laser Encyclopedia - External Resources
Many thanks.
Curtis

Something I've often found useful is this tool - Not sure if it's the best of it's type out there but it's a decent quick reference...

I think it's great what you're trying to do here - and I'll help in any way that I can, just a shame I'm so new to it too...

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, that is a good tool. Thanks for sharing Nick, and thanks for the offer of help. :)
Edit: Added to the tools section, thanks. (y)

Last edited:
I didn't know, until now, you were putting all your tables and graphs on a new website, Curtis. I know you have been working on this since shortly after you got here. I look forward to seeing how it shapes up over time.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I didn't know, until now, you were putting all your tables and graphs on a new website, Curtis. I know you have been working on this since shortly after you got here. I look forward to seeing how it shapes up over time.
Xenforo limits you on how big you can make your threads. Avery did try and increase the character limit but errors still exist when you try to alter any old large thread. There are also limits on how many pictures you can add to one post too.
So the website was my get around. It also allowed me to format the data into a more user friendly and adaptable layout. Thank you Paul, I’m hoping the website will become more useful to members here.

Curtis, this may be useful, if you don't already have it.

https://academo.org/demos/wavelength-to-colour-relationship/
Thank you Jeff, I have one version of the wavelength-colour conversion listed but I will happily add another as you never know if one will just disappear. :)

Well, that makes more sense now. I knew there were issues with the new format, but didn't know you had these kinds of problems, Curtis.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, anyone wanting to make a large thread will see this unfortunately.
I actually made a new page today which basically is like Sta's 'Which company should I buy from' guide, but instead I have added a voting system to each company. It's not properly live yet, but feel free to vote on how good they are if you'd like.
Here is a direct link. Hobbyist Laser Encyclopedia - Company Guide

Thanks. Had a look. Since I prefer to build my own lasers, I have no opinions on companies that sell handheld lasers. I believe all of the companies that are touted as great are way overpriced as I can build a better laser for less money.

Thanks. Had a look. Since I prefer to build my own lasers, I have no opinions on companies that sell handheld lasers. I believe all of the companies that are touted as great are way overpriced as I can build a better laser for less money.
This may be true - but for those that can't do home machining, yet still want to get into lasers - full DIY's a bit of bigger hurdle. Of course that's not counting drop in stuff like the SurvivalLasers host but it's still a thing that gets in the way! I want to get a couple of modules turned down to fit a tiny host and have had very little luck finding local machinists who can take small precise amounts off the side of a 12mm module :) Either they're using huge lathes and turning nothing smaller than a piston, or they're all too far away or expensive. Might have to ask around here if I draw a blank with the next few leads I have...

Sorry for the rant anyway...

I have never machined a host, but I have collected many over the years and still do when good deals come up. When you have been here for a few years you will meet people who can machine to your specifications. I know quite a few members here.