Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Need a Pulsed Driver Schematic

lazer

I want to build a pulsed driver that could power a 405 nm diodes like a 6x, 8x, or a 12x diode. Does anyone know of a wiring schematic for a pulsed driver that could power blu ray didoes?

Why pulsed? Is this to get peak brightness higher? If so, you might want to look at the MMD (MightyMicroDrive?) by someone over on "the other" forum, or play around with a 555 timer and mosfet yourself.

lazer

Why pulsed? Is this to get peak brightness higher? If so, you might want to look at the MMD (MightyMicroDrive?) by someone over on "the other" forum, or play around with a 555 timer and mosfet yourself.

Yeah I was trying to squeeze more mws out of the diodes by pulsing them at higher currents. I know it will probably shorten the diode's life by some still but I just wanted to experiment. I looked at using a 555 timer but can't find any actual schematics of a completed laser diode driver.

>> http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/glpdrv2.gif

You can also use a more common Rail-to-Rail OP like the TS912 (Dual) or OPA347 (Single). I prefer the TS912 in combination with a MOSFET (530...) because it can handle a much higher gate current.

To generate the pulses don't use a 555 timer. Some kind of a sine wave generator is much better. The "sharp" edges of the 555 pulses can cause VERY high currency spikes which *zap* your diode...

For testing purposes use a oscilloscope in combination with a test load.

mojo