Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Nd:YAG versus Nd:YVO4

Exerd

Can someone explain when I would want to use Nd:YAG instead of YVO4?

I notice that the YAG seems to be used in the very high output green lasers. The YAG rods are also cheaper it appears, but I'm not sure how to predict the size rod needed for various pumping power amounts.

I am still researching in order to start my high power 532nm lab build, and now I'm at a fork in the road while thinking about this.

Nd:YAG is used in things like LaserScopes, which produce about 40W of green. Nd:Yag is also pumped using a krypton flashlamp (I think). It's a lot simpler on a hobbyist scale to use Nd:YVO4. You'd need a proper krypton lamp, a psu for it, a KTP big enough to withstand the power of the Nd:YAG, and be able to setup the lasing cavity properly.

Edit: I'm not 100% on all that, but I do know it's simpler to use Nd:YVO4.

Last edited:
Nd:YVO4 sometimes works better when pulsed. So I believe that since most people prefer CW greenies, they now use Nd:YAG which is more efficient for making the 1064 required when pumped with diodes.

Nd:YV04 is now mainly used for 473s...

Meatball, Nd:YVO4 replaced YAG many years ago :p

Also, simple google search (using the title of this thread even) got the answer with the FIRST RESULT :p

Compared with Nd:YAG and Nd:YLF for diode laser pumping, Nd:YVO4 lasers possess the advantages of lower dependency on pump wavelength and temperature control of a diode laser, wide absorption band, higher slope efficiency, lower lasing threshold, linearly polarized emission and single-mode output. For the applications in which more compact design and the single-longitudinal-mode output are needed, Nd:YVO4 shows its particular advantages over other commonly used laser crystals. The diode laser-pumped Nd:YVO4 compact laser and its frequency-doubled green, red or bule laser will be the ideal laser tools of machining, material processing, spectroscopy, wafer inspection, light show, medical diagnostics, laser printing and the most widespread applications.

source: Neodymium Doped Yttrium Orthvanadate (Nd:YVO4) Crystal - Casix

Exerd

HumanSymphony,

Some people are OK with reading advertisements to gain their knowledge. :p

I read that Casix advertisement before starting this thread, and it did not answer my question. :p

My question was, when would I want to use YAG?

Anyways, Prototype, a LaserScope? What definition of that word are you referring to? I assume it is for some type of long-distance surveying or something of that nature. Normally when I think of a "laserscope", I think of a rangefinder using IR light, or a device made by Konami for the Nintendo Entertainment System. :)

Anyways, like I said, I notice that the very high power green lasers seem to all be using YAG. So apparently even though we have YVO4 as a presumably more efficient medium, it appears there is a point when YAG becomes more beneficial to use.

A Laserscope is a large medical laser that is used in skin surgery, they usually produce 60W IR/40W green, depending on the settings chosen. They use a long-arc krypton flashlamp to pump the Nd:Yag rod, which lases the KTP, the entire thing is Q-Switched, and requires heavy modification to get to CW operation.

Heavy enough that even professional laserists have trouble getting it to work right. And this has been gone over before.

It's been gone over in enough detail, you're trying to get me to explain how so you can do it yourself. I'm going to be frank, I have no idea how to convert a Laserscope for CW use, and if I did I certainly wouldn't tell you. Sorry for the offtopic, Exerd.

I know someone who would guide me through the process though. It's just that i have no means of supplying 208V@40A!

YVO4 is more efficient. Good on stuff below ~5-10w? But if you building something really high power YAG can handle more power.

I've used YVO4 before with success, but my setup was quite low tech. I don't have a machine shop, so I built it out of foam(depron) and hot glue. Even the mirror mounts were screws though foam. It amazingly worked. I'm sure 10w of 808 helped :crackup: Super crappy pic's.. Its ok to laugh at it :) Left is YVO4, KTP, Then my patent pending woodscrew through foam adjustable mirror mounts, and the 808 source.

2990-foamlaser.jpg

Last edited: