Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Naming schemes and platforms on light housing and hosts

I have been endlessly searching a simple comprehension on why flashlight hosts / housings found on DealExtreme, FastTech or everywhere else have a naming pattern such as the following...

hcoUcch.png

which are then combined to what I assume to be the internal dimensions of the LED driver and housing...

7JqOcfo.png

An example, this C6 host, typically called as the Aurora, under its specifications it says that it is "specifically crafted for Cree XR-E LED emitters". Does this mean that a heatsink created for this C6 host / housing is fully compatible with a filtered XR-E light such as this Cree Q5? Note that it also states being a Q5, which adds a whole new complication to the matter. How about this one? Compared to the Blue Cree Q5? Can the differences be fractions of a millimeter?

Also, the hosts above were filtered by 18650 battery fitments, I'd imagine similar or perhaps identical hosts with a 16340 fitment are automatically considered incompatible? Such as the Powerlight B50 (16340) versus a host such as this XR-E Q5 (14500) host?

Thanks :yh: and hopefully this fires up some sort of a structured scheme for the forums.

Last edited:

Even if a same module drop in, for example common one being P-60, fits in multiple hosts, doesn't mean the heatsink are interchangeable.

Drop in modules are designed to fit a lot of hosts. Heatsinks are designed to fit exactly one host.

I was kinda hoping we'd all adopt some "nicknames" for hosts with non-unique names and codes. Blord and other members got some pretty cool naming schemes, we could probably use that.

Hehe, thanks for your input. I would also assume that the screw on part on the front of the flashlight host differs in size to accommodate the reflectors for the LEDs.