Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

'Myth or Fact'

I have heard some where that green lasers are double the mw of a red lasers! so...

[highlight]1mw green = 2mw red[/highlight]

I know your eyes are more sensitive to green then red But is there any truth in that? ^

Comidt

Then how come a 5mW greenie has a brighter dot and beam than my homemade ~100mW red? :-?

Gazoo

Comidt said:
Then how come a 5mW greenie has a brighter dot and beam than my homemade ~100mW red? :-?

Because the eye is more sensitive to green then red...look at a spectrum chart...google it.. ;)

Comidt

Oh, yeah i knew that.
i thought that's what he was asking, sorry :-[
Jonno

Ashton

Acctually IIRC, AS FAR AS HUMAN VISION, 1mw green = 3mw red (green is 3x as visible as red, I think)

this is a hole I fell into also when I started with lasers, I didn't know about the vision-sensitivity and assumed it really had to do with the pwoer itself.

Aseras

1mw = 1mw for power.

for visibilty to a normal human 1mw of green ( 532nm ) = about 4mw of red ( 690nm ), 3.7mw of red ( 650nm). and about 2.7mw of red/orange ( 630nm )

those are ballpark.

blue is a bit diffrent since at night it becomes much "brighter". your night vison is blue sensitve.

Newbie here with a related (or stupid) question of burning capabilities of different color lasers. Let’s say you have 3 lasers with the same output: red, green, blue. Does one burn better than the others?

P

Perez-Allende

Mini-Man said:
Newbie here with a related (or stupid) question of burning capabilities of different color lasers.  Let’s say you have 3 lasers with the same output:  red, green, blue.  Does one burn better than the others?
they would burn the same

Perez-Allende, thanks for the quick reply. I thought they might be the same, but wasn't sure.